MK2 Boot struts

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Mk2Singh, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Mk2Singh Forum Member

My OEM boot struts needed changing as they were pretty tired and were struggling to lift the boot door so ordered a set from heritage which were Meyle items and listed as replacements for the mk2
    Now my boot wants to launch into the air as it gets past half way from opening and makes the door clunk when it gets to the open position

Any suggestions of which boot struts are more like OEM? What have you guys used?

Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I've used MK3 Golf and MK3 ibiza, they're a little stronger than stock and open boot a little further. but not too much, like the ones you have

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  3. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Molf? Lol
    Were they OEM ones or an aftermarket item?

Thanks

4. rubjonny

mk3 golf :lol: both genuine VW/SEAT

5. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Was just checking autodoc and it shows force ratings for each brand. Apparently the ones listed for a MK2 all have an eject force rating of 270n
    MK3 listed as: 350n
    Seat Ibiza: 460n

Most likely because the tailgates of those are heavier than the MK2 tailgate. I bet heritage sell the MK3 ones as compatible for the mk2 aswell. Would explain why mine shoots up with alot of force. Lengths they are all listed as 500mm

6. rubjonny

yep youre exactly right. the ibiza tailgate weighs an absolute ton, I found they worked great for me still as I have a stealth shelf, but still not too bad when shelf detached. though I have to add both my sets were used not new so perhaps they've eased off a bit on the force :lol: