Mk2 Cages - non dash dodgers

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by copeidge, Oct 1, 2017.

1. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Hi guys, I'm doing more and more track stuff and its time I looked at some safety.

I'm in two minds to get a cage or not and weather I want to take the car down this route but I've decided if I do get a cage I'd want a bolt in cage and I would want it to follow the lines of the A Pillar and not dodge around the dash. I know this requires some cutting of the dash but I'd rather do that and make it looks like it was designed to be there!

NOT this...
    [​IMG]

but this!
    [​IMG]

Form and Function!

Are there any off the shelf cages that do this? or would it be a case of buying a cage and then having someone make those hoops once its installed?

2. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

My safety devices on drops down the front of the dash but nothing like the first picture

Maybe get a rear section and then get the fronts made to your specs

3. jamesa Forum Junkie

Similar to ^ ...

My Mk1 has a Safety Devices bolt in rear mated to a front section fabricated by the company that is now HRP ... who sponsor the Chassis section.

The front cage is as per your requirement plus door bars, the rear has an added `cross bar` for harness mounts. HRP sourced and installed the entire cage, I have been extremely happy with their work.

My thread on the car is now empty but I can dig out relevant pictures if they remain in my Photobucket account, PM your email if required.

There is / was a great deal of info. on cages and harnesses elsewhere in the Forum e.g. vwsingh`s Mk1 cage install.

As I am sure you are aware, fitting a cage throws up many other interfaces that require consideration for the same time.

Great to see your progression with the car :thumbup:

4. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Sorry for the late replys guys!

Many thanks! I think that might be the best option then.
    With that in mind which is the best/tightest fitting cage to the shell that you can buy off the shelf?

OMP? Safety devices?

Cheers guys :)

5. jamesa Forum Junkie

No personal experience of anything else, suggest that you contact people that install them.

6. sh123 New Member

Ive just fitted a safety devices cage to my mk2. I was in the same situation, being I didnt want a dash dodger, the only bolt in one I could find was from tornado motorsport. but due to the fact it was off the shelf and I thought it would be quicker I went for a safety devices one, it turned up about 8 weeks after ordering it!! lol Anyway im very happy with how it turned out, ill get some pictures for you. but be careful if logbooking the car for motorsport, I measured my weld in plates and they were below the minimum sizes. but I just made some up myself.

7. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Thanks for the info.

After looking at Tornado cages they look perfect! Fit exactly as I'd want, bolt in and seems like they are a great company.
    On another thread a lad said it cost him 200 for fitting which included getting all the mounting points welded in - which seems like great value.

I'd ideally like to fit it myself but not only does it sound like an utter ballache, I think a job like this might be worth leaving to the professionals!

Thanks for the info guys!

8. sh123 New Member

tornado is around 800 for cage and 4-500 for fitting if i remember correctly

9. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Yeah spoke to dave last week, seems the prices have changed since that threat in 2012!

He said around 600 for the cage and around 400 for fitting, plus powder coating.

10. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I thought you'd be looking a lot more than 1000 to get a cage supplied and fitted. I'd be over the moon with that!

11. jamesa Forum Junkie

How many fixing points please ?

12. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Thats for a 6 point cage.

Those prices were rough though. I've emailed him so will let you guys know :thumbup: