Mk2 Dash/Instrument Lights Not Working

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Trinity, Jan 29, 2006.

1. Trinity Forum Member

today i finally got my ass into gear and patched in the heater feed for my electric mirrors. Was feeling chuffed at finally doing it, however, going out for a drive before and i realised i now have no dash lights, nor heater control lights.

I changed the switch, checked the fuse, checked the dimmer, the side and headlights all come on, but no instrument lights. I doubt very much all bulbs (as the heater control light isnt working either) have blown, can anyone shed any light (no pun intended :) ) on the matter?

I did have the fuse box down while i found the white/green rear screen demist wire to scotch into for the mirrors, but other than this i didnt do anything else. Im finding it a bit strange! ive checked all relays and connections are all in ok on the fuse box, does anyone know of any specific areas on the fuse box i should pay attention too?

cheers all!
    Edited by: Trinity

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have you tried fiddling with the dimmer wheel on the headlight switch? ;)

3. Trinity Forum Member

of course i have! even tried another switch from my dads mk2 which is working fine to no avail..

4. rubjonny

Well I had to ask :lol: I'd say you might have disturbed a plug on the back of the fusebox somewhere, have a feel round the back of it and make sure they're all pressed in fully.

5. Brother of DuB New Member

Check the Grey/Blue wire from the Back of the switch, this might have a break someware or chaffed/ Got trapped.

This is your Dashillumination wire,

trace it behind the dash and see whare it goes and what has happened to it.

let me know

Caino[xx(]

6. Trinity Forum Member

Rubjonny, heheh sure, after i pmed you about a heater wire that actually was very easy to do i questioned my competence too :) but ive been around of the back of the fusebox all night still to no avail and now im very cold and grumpy!..grrr! ive looked at the wiring diagrams youve done *well done btw!* and i presume itll be around U1+2 i should be double cheking?

Brother of Dub - thanks for the pointer ill be checking this too..nice one..

i have a 500 mile drive to make on tuesday so ill be cracking on with it tommorow, please check this thread as i may be in need of more help! :p

7. rubjonny

It depends what year your MK2 is, the pre90 ones are different, I put the wiring for the pre90 fusebox a few posts down in that FAQ :)

8. Trinity Forum Member

its a 1991...

9. Trinity Forum Member

turns out the numberplate light fuse had blown, replaced it and the dash lights came back..very strange!

thanks for the help everyone..

10. Mk2m0rl3y New Member

I have the same problem but the dashboard lights sometimes work when it’s cold all the fuses are fine.