Mk2 Drums to Disc conversion parts list?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Mk2Singh, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Hi all

I am planning on converting my rear drum brakes on the mk2 to discs and calipers and wanted to ask whats the best parts to use including part numbers if possible
    Id like to go down the mk4 caliper route
    Is it best to stick with mk2 stub axles and bearings or I saw that polo ones can be used that have a better bearing setup?
    As im going from drums I guess there will be bits n bob/brackets that I dont have?
    Also a rear ARB as I currently dont have one
    Need a shopping list basically

Any help appreciated, Thanks :)

2. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Tbh, a mk2 gti axle might be a cheaper and simpler option?
    Don't forget the load sensing valve.
    Polo / Lupo stuff is good, mostly for the superior bearing.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1st thing is check if you have the bias valve as mentioned or not, 1.8 have them as do diesels and i think 1.6 automatic. the roll bar is integrated into the beam so only option is bolt an aftermarket one on. can use a mk3 beam instead if you want, just make sure it has the bias valve attached so you have all the hardware you need. if you dont have a valve now then you need to re-do the lines under the car to plumb it in.

for polo/ibiza stub axles, looky here:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/polo-ibiza-stub-axle-on-a-golf-mk1-to-mk3-guide.177988/

can use mk2/3/mk4/polo calipers with the above, just note if you go with alloy type you need adaptor hoses to make them fit. later mk3 calipers are just as good with similar internal handbrake spring design vs mk2 which has external spring with different internals on the pistons and slightly more prone to failure.

can use mk2/3 or polo dust shields on mk2/3 stub axles, just have to fit them under the stubbies rather on top. no reason to buy polo over normal shields except the polo ones often cheaper at the dealer, assuming still available.

4. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Thanks for the replies guys :)

Yea so I dont have the Bias valve as it was a 1.3 engine to begin with. Will need to hunt one down. Is it all 1.8 mk2's have them? inc non gti? How should I adapt the brake lines for the bias valve?

I think I rather just use the axle I have and refurb it with new bushes etc and then buy new bits to put on.

Parts wise:
    Bias Valve setup
    Polo/Ibiza stub axles - Which year should I look for?
    Mk4 calipers and conversion hoses
    Mk2 carriers
    Is there a bracket to hold the hose from the caliper to the hardline?
    With the dust shields - Are the mk2 ones still available?

Thank you :)

5. rubjonny

alright deffo change the beam as the 1.0-1.3 ones are made of thinner steel. also means you can fully refurb it all off the car and fit in one go. yeah 1.8 cabr and gti, diesels plus maybe 1.6 automatic have the valves.

brake lines if they look good and you have a proper flare tool you can cut and remake, otherwise replace. or if you have access to donor car swap over. Polo GTI and Ibiza around 99-01, you cant mistake em if they have what you need anyway. Chances are you wont find in local scrappy it'll be a case of hunt out a seller in the classifieds

for the rear flexi pipes the MK2/3 GTI have a pressed steel bracket which pushes into the end of the beam, be sure you grab a set of those.

mk2 dust shields are available, polo are not. Not sure if the mk2 shields will fit with polo stubs? tbh theres no real need to go with the polo setup, the mk2 bearings are plenty strong enough for general fast road use. just if building a track car the extra strength comes in handy plus if you go thru rear discs quickly the polo ones are a bit cheaper and easier to change as you dont have to do the bearing every time. Can use mk2 or mk3 stub axles, try to get later mk3 or polo brake carriers though as these will accept the stainless steel pad slider inserts which means you never have to worry about your pads sticking in pitted brake carriers ever again

6. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Ah okay, so the 1.3 ones are weaker. Didnt think they would have changed the actual axle for the models. Thought it was just ARB and discs which were the difference.
    So best to source from a mk2 gti? It would include the hose brackets then if I sourced a complete one inc the bias valve
    Okay so no real need to get polo stub axles then. Mk2 stub axles and bearings are sufficient enough?

Thanks

7. rubjonny

yeah mk2 or mk3 gti, making sure bias valve is attached with all the bits. some mk3 dont have one instead its handled by the abs system. but all mk2 gti have the valve. internal roll bar is gti only, but no desperate need for that as I say can get yourself a pair of aftermarket roll bars, the 1.3 wont have a front one either!

8. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Okay will be on the hunt for one. Yea I fitted a G60 arb up front when I did the ABF conversion

:)

9. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Reviving my old thread as im looking to do this over the winter

Would I be better off just buying new Polo 6n2 gti Stub axles and hubs/bearings than sourcing second hand ones?

10. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Aren't they a bit expensive, and could only track down one side as available?
    Got polo 9n3 ones to go on mine, and cut plates off polo beam, but creation and epytec sell plates to mount. Got my reduction valves off a focus, with stubby master cylinder.
    Although 9n3 is 5 stub, which I'll use when widetrack and 256 vented rears, I've got new polo 6n2 rear hubs, 4 stud to go on with solid discs and polo calipers.
    Ibiza and fabia are same, paid 30 for whole beam with calipers, then 2 handbrake cable, hoses and the hubs/discs. If lucky cost about 120 total.
    Passat rear hose is usable for converting to calipers as has banjo and about 6" long.

Attached Files:

11. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Yea I didnt check the prices properly before posting. The bearings/hubs are about £30 per side using ECP voucher and then would need stub axles on top but not sure if they are still available. I was hoping that getting newer parts would be reasonable plus being fresh parts dont have to worry about anything. Will see what i can find secondhand :)

12. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Think the advantage of 6n2 gti stub axle is the ABS sensor location, but as like ours, yours is a lower spec drum model, it's not required.
    The only real problem is the rear bias, as no valve on rear beam, I was lucky and got a pair of limited with the master cylinder, but think they are on non abs mk1 focus and other ford, Ka from memory, they were screwed straight on master cylinder, but as its only needed for rear, I will relocate to the two feed pipes either behind gearbox, or even nearer the back.
    Got a set of braided mk4 conversion rear hoses, just have to make a small bracket to hold them as the mk3 bracket is no longer available, epytec sell bracket, but 22 each, it's a piece of steel with a 16mm hole ( iirc) and a hole for a rivet.
    Put 6n2 gti rear discs on mk mk2 caddy, was more ease and cost than rebuild of my rear brakes, but also looked better.
    For my golf I got new set 6n2 rear hubs, new rear 6n2 discs, new golf gti handbrake cables, new braided hoses, the stub axles, calipers and carriers were off the 9n beam I bought, but I've also got the 9n hubs for 5 stud in time, and as said I hacksawed the plates off the beam, cleaned them up with grinder and drilled the threaded mounting holes out to allow a longer ht bolt to go through to the cars rear beam.
    The plates that go between the stub axle and rear beam, to mount calipers, are like the lupo gti used, but again rare and only one side seems to be available, epytec, creation and others sell them, I messaged Al at retrofication as he was selling similar to mount mk4 calipers on mk2 caddy (different stub axle bolt pattern to golf 1/2/3/polo)
    He said he was planning them, but I'm unsure if has.
    By the way, 9n stub axles/ hubs are same whether disc or drum, and 6n2 hubs identical except 4 stud not 5. Mk4 golf has a more square stub mounting bolt pattern and larger bearings, so no use.

Attached Files:

13. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Great bit of info mate

Im actually looking to do it as simple as possible on the MK2
    As RubJonny has said above - Ill get a complete rear beam from a mk2 golf gti with the bias valve and then do the usual mods to it like mk4 calipers and 6n2 bearing hubs and stub axles. Ive seen the stub axles for sale on autodoc but no where else and they are all brands ive never heard of.

Can anyone clarify if the same stub axles were used on other VAG cars and the part numbers for them? Maybe even the hub/bearings

14. rubjonny

the stubbies are polo and seat ibiza/cordoba only, part numbers for everything in the link I posted above :)

15. Mk2Singh Forum Member

ah okay I thought the part numbers are different for seat but they are exact same as vw polo ones

Thanks John :)

16. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Okay so im trying to source bits and pieces to refurb the donor axle. Id like to use new bolts to fit the axle to the car so was wondering if anyone can help with sourcing the bolts that secure the carrier bracket to the car (3 on each side)
    Number 24 on attached diagram
    Part number is: N 10141701 or N 10040003
    Could also do with the Nut, Number 24 on diagram Capture.JPG
    Had a search on the net but nothing available. If anyone has replaced them with new ones please let me know where I can still get them

Also if anyone has photos of how the brakes lines go from the front of the car to rear to connect up to the bias valve on the axle would be great. Just so I can bend up some new ones

Last edited: Dec 7, 2020
  17. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Vw will sell you nuts and bolts?
    Noel Vance Deutscheparts is good too for stuff like that.

18. rubjonny

19. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Did check Deutscheparts but the part numbers didnt bring back any results

Yes sorry meant Nut 15 in the diagram. Will check those Febi ones

Did also find these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mk2-Golf...679947?hash=item2aea3fdb8b:g:XRsAAOSwzH5bMhvb

But are these bolts usually one use/stretch bolts? I was going to just clean them up and re use as finding new ones isnt so easy

Or can I use easily available ones from non automotive sources such as this: https://www.bolts.co.uk/m10-x-25mm-...MIt8HHiL2-7QIVV7vVCh1oZQSaEAQYBSABEgLl9PD_BwE

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  20. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

If the torque spec for them is "plus degrees" then they're normally stretch.

Those on eBay are only 8.8, they should be 10.9. I used to actually sell 10.9 Geomet coated ones on eBay but by the time I'd done I was hardly making any money on them. Used to get them from https://nutsandbolts.co.uk/. Postage is dire but if you're getting a few other things its not too bad. The size of the flange is slightly smaller but still large enough to comfortably cover the slotted hole