Mk2 early front wing recommendations

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Cressa, Nov 12, 2021.

1. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Just wondering whose wings are a decent fit/replacement. Mine are off at the moment and not the best possibly, so considering my options.?.
    Thanks people

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

In my experience with replacement panels for any car, let alone aftermarket VW ones, is always repair/restore your originals ones if at all possible. Replacements may be cheap but there is a reason for that.

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Two new wings on the green one, and passenger on the white one, all pattern, pretty good, the gap on both passenger side to scuttle needs a fettle, but nothing too difficult, if being super critical the bonnet front corner to wing/grille void is a tiny bit off on mine, but it was literally dropped off at sprayshop as soon as arrived, no pre fit tweaks.
    That was vwheritage one, the cl had one from vw parts international and one from hadrian panels, same as when trying to find the bumper for mine , supply choices were minimal so got what was in stock. My front apron was also a pattern one and very good fit.
    On a recommendation for wings the ones I have had from euro car parts for the audi A4 b7 and polo 9n3 have all fitted exceptionally well, and with yhe discounts very reasonable priced.
    I know original spec is probably better, but is a bit of a struggle when the last mk2 was 30 years ago and uk weather not the kindest.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
  4. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

I half remember reading something about the 'type19'/earlier mk2 wings being different somehow to the later ones, but I forget the reason / differences why.

How bad are your existing wings? And what kind of repair/budget are you working with? MOT fix vs concours grade repair are different beasts ;)

Some heads would be content with alum tape over rusty bitz, others *need* to get that perfect respray...

5. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

As has been written previously it depends on your budget, what sort of finish you want and what you can do yourself, personally I would probably cut up a pattern wing if it's fit wasn't as good as I wanted and use it to repair the original I have done this in the past as well as having a bodyshop do the same as the pattern part wasn't good enough. Iirc most new wings have side repeater hole in them and the front lower area around bumper mount has the extra holes for the big bumper as said iirc.

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

apparently where it fits round the grille is slightly different on the early ones but not managed to compare the differences myself

7. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I have considered keeping these and having them made good. Maybe a trip to my bodyshop man to see if he can. I appreciate the original is probably far superior to a replacement panel, but these are rusty. Not all the way through but I don't want to throw money at it coming back on a White car!!
    I shall post some pictures tomorrow so that you can see what I am up against

dodgy likes this.
  8. Rustbuster

Rustbuster Paid Member Paid Member

I recently bought the heritage ones made by Rhibo. They were £80, for the pair, delivered. Which I think is worryingly cheap. They fit ok. Not perfect by any means. They’re slightly off where the top of the wing meets the scuttle and where the wing meets the body at the bottom next to the door. They’ll do for the time being but I’m going to fix up some original VW ones when I get the chance because there is a difference, definitely.

9. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I took the wings to my paint guy. He said they were workable, so just need to get the rust parts shot blasted, treated,and some zinc primer for now. He will do the rest in making them good and I can stone chip the inside
    Happy with that.
    Thanks for pushing me this way

Sirguydo and dodgy like this.
  10. saladman

saladman Paid Member Paid Member

Great news! If you can get before / during / after pics might help to inspire others to save their original steel :)

11. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

No problem
    So in fairness mine dont seem too bad.... ish. There is rust on the edge that the arches rivet through and this has also totally rotten through in a couple of places. Also underneath the top fixings is rusty aswell as at the bottom A post fixing.
    There are a few dints but that isnt anything that concerns me.
    Photos to follow

12. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

13. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

They look pretty good, I'd be happy to put them back on my car after being restored.

14. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

tbh they're good enough for me to put back on without restoring :lol: far too nice to throw away for sure :thumbup:

15. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

thanks gents. I've just dropped them off to be blasted. I was uploading more pictures but it just went error!!! Pictures always make things look better though.
    My car looked good on ebay

Attached Files:

16. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I accept that for a 35yr old car they are in good condition. I am more impressed with the inner wings. Just surface rust, no welding needed. The nearside came up looking great. Bloody car 20211025_151048.jpg
    20211121_153427.jpg

dodgy likes this.
  17. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

As has been said above those wings are very good and an easy repair, the last front wing I had repaired at a body shop when I had to have the side resprayed had rotted out from the rear bottom edge of the arch to just forward of the 12 o'clock position under the plastic trim.

18. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Actually thought you were going to go full 'Wilson ' with the red oxide @Cressa Screenshot_20211122-220251_Chrome.jpg

19. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

Red oxide...... I havent used that for years . I actually bought the car like that!!

dodgy likes this.
  20. Cressa Paid Member Paid Member

I will post up some pictures when they are back

dodgy likes this.