Mk2 Golf 1.3 speedo cable?

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by tapehead_01, Apr 16, 2018.

1. tapehead_01 New Member

My speedo stopped working yesterday ('89 golf 1.3), checked the gauge itself and it works fine so concluded the cable had snapped. Went to go and replace it today and found this (see attached image).

Now i'm pretty sure that's the end of the speedo cable but it looks nothing like any of the ones i've seen for sale on the internet, they all have a single bolt hole through a plate thing that holds the cable end to the box. It looks a lot more like the speedo cable used on Polos, question is would a Polo one (part no: 868957801B) fit or is this a different part altogether?

Attached Files:

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

I have a polo one on my mk2 with 02a box as it was the cheapest one I could find at the time on the bay of e, fits fine either end but speedo jiggles about a little bit. not sure if its because the routing is a little tight or if the cable is just garbage.

no need for you to mess about though, just buy a new mk2 1.3 gemo cable from here and be happy:
    https://www.vwheritage.com/19295780...hand-drive-with-manual-gearbox-10-13-vw-spare

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The one with the plate is for the likes of an 020 box.

4. tapehead_01 New Member

Ah, before mine broke it used to bounce about quite a bit below 20mph but would smooth out the faster I went, not sure if that was because it was on the way out though. Looking at the picture of the cable you linked it doesn't have a drive gear on it. Assuming this works the same as the 020 gearboxes with a drive gear at the end of the cable, is it worth sourcing a replacement one of those if I'm replacing the cable?

5. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the 1.0-1.3 and 02a cables dont have a gear directly attached like the 1.5+ do, instead you unscrew the cable from the back of the sender/gear which stays inside the box and fit the new one job done :)

6. tapehead_01 New Member

Fair enough, that's good! Should be a relatively easy job then, thanks