Mk2 Golf 1.8 20v turbo fuel pick up pump question

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by match24, Jun 19, 2019.

1. match24 New Member

Good evening one and all,
    I'm hoping that someone here will be able to help me with a small query I have.
    I have a mk2 golf GTi running the auq engine and 6 speed gearbox and an abundance of performance parts and mapped to just shy of 300hp.
    I have done away with the old external pump/swirl pot and installed an in line Bosch 044. I have also removed the old lift pump from the tank and replaced with a walbro 255 but kept the original fuel sender housing etc. The issue I seem to have is that the 255 pump is about 50mm longer than the standard GTi lift pump and as such doesn't sit flat on the bottom of the tank or just above. What I am wondering is if anyone on here knows of a suitable in tank lift pump that is similar or the same length as the standard pump? I am aware that there has been several threads about issues with the fuel captivating without a swirl pot and issues with fuelling when the tank is less than 1/4 full. Im not looking for any information on this, merely a suitable pump to fuel 300+ bhp that is similar length to the standard as the the 255 clearly isn't.
    Many thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

could you not install it offset to the side a bit with an S shaped pipe from it to the lifter assembly? if made just right you might be able to slip it thru the hole in the tank

or maybe look at the mk3 golf fuel pumps, they're pretty short but can flow a decent amount of fuel and kinda similar to the mk2 lifter once removed from the big plastic housing they're sat in

3. match24 New Member

I was thinking of doing something similar, however, the assembly where the fuel pump pushes into the rubber grommet and then into the assembly is plastic and isn't round in shape. I will remove it later this evening and see if there is any way of doing what you have suggested. Thank you

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

worst case if you install some kind of swirl pot before the main pump the standard lifter should have no issues keeping it topped up, the way a friend of mine did on his 20v rallye was to get a mk3 golf filter carrier then strap the MK1 pump on one side and a post-84 cab/rocco or g40 shape polo swirl pot on the other then it bolted up to the floor using the standard fuel pump mountings. a decent aftermarkety pot would do the job just as well. You need to tune the size of you pot to the pump delivery rate (at least 300cc in 10 seconds) vs the rate of fuel the injectors will be putting thru at full load, vs how long you think the car might be cornering hard with no output from the lifter

unfinished picture but you get the idea:
    g1latereservoir.jpg