mk2 golf abf conversion

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Allan blythe, Sep 24, 2020.

1. Allan blythe New Member

hi

I've done a conversion mk2 to run an abf abf ecu engine loom coil and the engine runs fine now I'm finally getting somewhere I'm finding little electrical gremlins like if you turn the lights on they work outside but the dash and switches don't light up and the rev counter does it's own thing once the lights have been turned on even if you turn it off it carry's on playing up turn the engine off and the rev counter stops where it was when you turned it off until you restart does anyone have a diagram for the back of the fuse box for ce2 it's mk2 in the car and mk3 loom in the engine bay

Thanks

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

wiggle the dimmer wheel about see if the dash lights up for starters, and look at the number plate lights those are same fuse as dash lights.

check fuse 15 and make sure you have ecu relay 30 or 32 in slot 3. look at the wiring to the coil, and you should have a brown/white earth to the head for the cluster though only used with MFA clocks.

check the earth claw next to the fusebox, if oyu use the complete mk3 loom it will now have to earth to it, as thats supplied by the MK2 loom from F/4 but the mk3 has no equivalent wire, you can run a wire from the claw to the stud on the A pillar to get that earthed again

3. Allan blythe New Member

I've tried the dimmer wheel still nothing but it was temperamental last time it was on the road I'll have a look for the earth wire I've screwed some to the body but can't remember what ones and can't check the number plate lights at the moment I've lost them so looks like I'll be replacing them

4. rubjonny

possible the plate light wire is shorted and blown fuse, this would take out the dash lights. often snaps in the rubber boot between body and tailgate

5. Allan blythe New Member

Sorry it took so long to get back I was looking after my dad in his final months and everything had to sit on the back burner I've finally gotten round to my car and put the number plate lights on and they sent lighting up I've repaired the wires that go into the boot lid and the fuses seem OK but still nothing

6. rubjonny

sorry to hear that :(

it might be the dimmer wheel has failed, if you u8nplug headlight switch and loop a wire between the red and grey/blue do the lights come on then?

7. Allan blythe New Member

That did it looped a wire and it's all working new switch it is thanks for the help I did try another switch so I did rule it out should of got a new one first time round thanks again

8. rubjonny

ok so we know the lights and wiring from the switch is all good, next with the switch plugged in still loop a wire from the grey to the grey/blue do the lights come on?

9. Allan blythe New Member

OK just hooked the grey to the grey blue like you said and nothing is happening

10. rubjonny

just to double check, you did this test with the headlight switch still plugged in and the light switch on first or 2nd click?

if so the grey wire is the power from lighting/boot light fuse #3 to the dimmer wheel input, so looks like the problem is you've lost power to this wire. double check the fuse is ok and follow the grey wire looking for damage :)

11. Allan blythe New Member

Hi

I looped the wires like you said with the switch connected I haven't had chance yet to check the wire or fuse but one I can I will let you know if it makes any difference

12. Allan blythe New Member

Hi

It's all sorted now the fuse was broken must of been from when I had the fuse box hanging down feel a bit stupid to of missed that thanks for the help