Mk2 Golf Brake Upgrade

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by allllec, Dec 27, 2008.

1. WAUOla Forum Member

Fair point.
    As stated above, my shitbox will be getting the upgrade to Brembo Max slotted 239x20 discs, with Ferodo eco-premier pads (to begin with).
    Car failed MOT today, so need to figure out what is needed for the VW2 calipers too, but hardware ordered with DOT5.1 should hopefully make it within the 1 week limit.

2. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

My CITI daily is on its fourth set of pads, trying to get some bite into the 239mm front discs. Latest set are rally spec Tarox, and they work. Not quite
    as well as DS2500 though.
    Negligible difference on initial warm up, but the CITI comes with the bigger servo anyway.
    I drive my rally cars to the MOT station and they all have 'hard' pads, no issues. Also, they send the needles around the brake test gauges straight away....
    Jon

3. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

You'd rate 2500 highly Jon? What about on the road, from cold?

4. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

I use the 2500 rallying (even on my pulsar) in the winter and they are great. 3000 for the summer, although precious little happening this year.
    Haven't had them fade and they get stinken hot, so hot the paint is usually burnt off the backplates by the end of the second stage.

On the basis that someone may listen / take action about the opinions, I would say no, they are not road pads. (doesn't mean I may/may not use them myself..)

My point is (from my experience) to get the 239 disc to work you've got to use aggressive pads.

(aside: DS3000's no good sprinting on my mk1 without servo, because you cannot get enough heat into them to get them started, whereas the 2500 will blue the disc in about a mile (on 13" slicks so negligible airflow))

There must be more pads out there now, so others can advise. Generally, if they are cheap, they are rubbish. Only exception to this is recently I tried a set of red stuff in G60's (rallying) and was mega surprised they worked. (had new spare 2500's available, in case) . So EBC compounds must have improved over the years.
    Tried the green ones 25 years ago and binned them, that bad
    Jon

5. WAUOla Forum Member

You are correct Jon, to go wiht something in 239 original size, one needs to pay up for some proper hardware.

I am not sure about any of it, but I noticed that EBC started denoting their pads with the R at the end. Just a side comment, my old Polo 6N was driven with Greenstuff and Brembo Max'es, and I think that was fine. Hard to tell what level of improvement those greens made over more OEM style pads though... At the time it was just about easy availability "down the road", and atleast wasn't a setback.

Reds, as far as I remember, were not recommended for my urquattro because of a rather lengthy bed-in need. Didn't make sense for a low-miler per year.

I suppose Ferodo, Mintex or Tarox are sort-of the go-tos. There's a rallying shop 10 mins away, I know they are doing Ferodo.
    Could be these DS performances, combined with a 16V lip and cooling ducts, are what is the pareto of what can be done on the 239s...