Mk2 Golf GTI 8v external fuel pump?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by handbrakeharry, Dec 20, 2006.

1. handbrakeharry New Member

Hi dudes,

My mk2 has been having probs starting after no action for say 12 hours (overnight) and apparently the external fuel pump needs replacing as the fuel pressure is low to the engine due to a link on the external fuel pump.... so the garage says.[:s]

The ext fuel pump does leak petrol a little anyway and thought it would be a good idea to get the thing replaced as apparently "only" a few bolts and a pipe or 2.....

So the question is, where could i get a second hand ext fuel pump for my mk2 gti?

Many thanks,

harry.

2. redi

redi Forum Member

If it is low pressure to the engine after sitting a while it could be the accumulater. Might be worth changing the fuel filter as well.
    I replaced the whole fuel pump assembly on my car with a second hand one from ebay, but it is false economy, it was just as bad if not worse than the one already on.
    In the end I got a new pump and lift pump from VW.
    So in answer to your qusetion you could try ebay or a breakers, but if you go this route get one from a low a mileage car as possible or you will get a bad one.

3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Check the lift pump is running, if not it causes the main pump to strain and it wont be able to supply enough fuel.
    Where is the leak coming from? I had a seep from around where the pump goes into the black box, I thought it was the o'ring but it turned out the box had split! The box was surprisingly cheap from VW.
    K-Jet 8v or 16v pump wont fit straight on either, the pipe fittings are different, you need a Digifant one.

Oh and MK2 digifant doesn't have an acumulator :)

4. handbrakeharry New Member

Yeh it looks like it's coming from the black box but i suppose it could be dripping down from somewhere else, i'l have to chuck it up on some ramps and see for definate... bit cold for working on cars at the mo!

5. rubjonny

Yep indeed! Mine cracked becasue one of the screws got realy rusty and expanded in the hole, eventually causing the case around it to split! So if you see a leak there have a close look at it, if the casing is cracked get a new one, 3 screws and the o'ring.

I went the whole hog and replaced the filter & fuel pipes + clips :)

Watch out for the rubber mountings though, they like to rip in half so try to avoid undoing them if you can, or just buy 4 new ones!

6. Carl loader Forum Member

Just out of curiosity, can you buy the fuel pipe that comes from the main pump (i think part of its metal isn't it?) or is it something you can make up easy enough?

I may have to replace my fuel pump and i know this pipe is quite rusty so it would be rude not to change it

7. rubjonny

On an 8v digifant its just bog std rubber injection fuel hose, but on a k-jet pump its got proper banjo fittings:
    191 201 373 - 24.50

8. Carl loader Forum Member

Cheers Jonny, your a legend!

9. tomocr New Member

I just replaced the main pump on my 8v digi too. Got it from ebay for under 20. There was always a strong smell of fuel from the back end after a long ride but no signs of leaks. I put her up on ramps and found that the box had split previously, had been repaired with "chemical metal" and a rag wedged between the top of the pump and the floor plan. As the fuel leaked, it soaked into the rag and evapourated (pump runs warm), so I had no leaks on the floor. Clever little sod whoever it was! Anyway, when I took the pump off, I had a look at the pump itslef and it looked to me that it was riveted to the box? Can the pump be removed from the box or do you have to buy a full unit (just wondering incase one or the other goes again)?

10. rubjonny

The pump originally should have been screwed into the plastic housing with 3 screws, they may have just rusted solid.
    The plastic housing is available seperatly:
    165 201 042 A - 30.65+VAT

There is also a seal & obviously replace the screws, plus fuel line clips:
    N 903 124 02 - seal - 1.88+VAT
    N 104 047 01 - screw x3 - 0.29+VAT
    N 024 122 2 - clip x3 (9x11-15, pump & fuel filter) - 1.02+VAT
    N 100 834 01 - clip x2 (14.8x6x1 feed & return lines to pump housing) - 0.75+VAT

11. oak8vgti Forum Member

just so you know, any sort of fuel leak is an mot failer, so best to get it sorted sooner rather than later lol

12. rubjonny

I'm guessing tomocr replaced the pump with a rag wrapped round it with the one off ebay ;)

13. tomocr New Member

Indeed I did. Looking over my post, I can see how it can confuse.

14. handbrakeharry New Member

Thanks for the part numbers rubjonny, where u get the parts from? be good if i could order online for next day delivery really....... poor golf.

15. 2dubnick Forum Junkie

as we're on the subject of fuel pumps i was wondering if anyone can help me. My car (Mk2 1992 digi) previously was having problems starting, when it did start first time it would stall quickly and then not restart, today I found the relay that tells the fuel pump to put fuel in the engine until the pressure is high enough was faulty, that was easily sorted as I took one off my other car which is currently out of action. But it also seems that my fuel pump isnt working as it makes no noise on start up, all you can here is the lift pump trying to get enough fuel into the engine to get it up to pressure but it never seems to turn off. At present the car will start, run and drive and seems Ok, but would I not notice it alot if the fuel pump was broke?

16. rubjonny

I got the part numbrs off ETOS, which is one of the VW parts ordering systems. GSF may be able to source some of the bits for you if you ask!

If the fuel pump was broke the car wouldn't run well if at all!

17. handbrakeharry New Member

Ive replaced the o ring and the screws, and fuel still leaks near the o - ring! nightmare... im now thinking about getting a new pump from eurocarpparts..... my golf is a g reg 90 gti digifant and looking at there website looks like they do two different ones, bosch and genuine:

BOSCH n/a 441440180 ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP GO/JE/CO 1.8 85-92
    GENUIN n/a 441440185 ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP GO/JE/CO 1.8 85 -92

Am i looking at the right pump??? (external) and is there any difference between the two? cost just over 100.???

thanks!

18. rubjonny

I doubt its the pump, id say its the plastic housing thats gone.

19. handbrakeharry New Member

Yeh understand i could just get the plastic housing, i didnt think it was split tho as no noticable cracks when i took it off....... think i'l just get a second hand complete unit or maybe a new, but new ones are around 150 delivered compared to around 40 for second hand...... is there much advantage getting bosch over the genuine model?

thanks.

20. rubjonny

Bosch will be just as good as oem :)