Mk2 golf GTI wheels

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by wub, Mar 19, 2021.

1. WUB

wub New Member

Hi i'm new to messing around with Golfs. Recently bought a 2 owner, low millage, rust free, 1988, MK 2 1.3. So i decided to put some GTi alloy wheels on it. Looked on ebay and found some described as refurbished BBS MK2 golf GTI alloy wheels. So after being assured by seller these were standard fit GTI BBS alloys, had a deal and collected them. I just went to get some tires fitted and realized a) they were 13 inch, not 15inch, but more worryingly b) they are 8J.

Quick bit or research and it seems 13 inch BBS were fitted to MK1 golfs and will still fit so thats ok, but what about the width? Did they really fit 8J standard to MK1 GTI's? will they fit in the arches of my standard 1.3? I wont have much power, (understatement!) so not worried about under-steer of what ever. This was just going to be a little project for me and my 2 teenage boys to play with. Bit gutted now, stumbled at the first hurdle[:v:]

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

3. WUB

wub New Member

ok so on checking the ebay listing they were advertised as 13 x 6 inch. i bought 5 and the one i looked at was 8J , the other 4 are 6J. so one was wrong size. So does any body know the correct tyres for these for the gold as the 6J is not listed on the links above?

4. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

6 x 14 fit very easily on a mk2. In fact, 6.5 or 7 x 15 is probably the most commonly seen on them now I'd say.

A 185 width is a nice "square" size on a 6j, 175 fits ok, 195 tends to balloon a bit.

5. WUB

wub New Member

So 6 x 13 as well? looks like it might be tight over the front calipers?

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

They had 13s as standard on the small block cars, so unless you have a weird offset, which is unlikely seeing as they're vw wheels, they should fit over standard brakes.

7. harryvr6 Forum Member

The polo g40 had 13 inch bbs wheels as standard, should look good on a mk2 i would have thought with a suspension drop