mk2 golf Haldex 4wd

Discussion in 'Transmission' started by 16vjohn, Oct 29, 2009.

1. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

like passing an MOT for instance....no chance.

the prop also sits far too low and out of alignment.

2. 16vjohn New Member

if you look at the pictures the front prop it has 2 cv joints so its able to sit at the angle it does, the mot only states the exhaust has to be secure an sealed, also noise level though thats down the the tester at the time...

3. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

but if the car is a Radically altered vehicles the tester could refuse to do the mot and inform vosa
    and they can make it that it has to go throu a sva wich it would fail

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  4. Alfonzo bonzo Forum Member

Ive seen it all now, WTF?

Im not saying its a bodge job but thats just shocking. Theres syncro running gear/floor pans for sale on dubforce.

Might as well have built a kit car.

5. 16vjohn New Member

how that shocking? whats the point in buying a floor pan thats goin to be modifed to fit the haldex cradle?

if they were goin to use the syncro to haldex conversion kit then yes a floor pan would have been good, but they using no syncro parts so im guessing it was easyer to make a new floor, simple...

6. prof Forum Addict

maybe making a new floor with sufficient exhaust clearence would be a good move.

Trendy tramps monster

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hltTPMD3mYs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hltTPMD3mYs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

had part of the exhaust inside the shell, and it was hot as fook

7. AngryBob Forum Member

It seems to me and probably others, that you are somehow connected to this abortion?

8. RallyeVR6

RallyeVR6 Forum Junkie

On a Rallye VR6 turbo I have built, after a quick few blasts down the road the transmission tunnel gets hot enough that you don't want to put your hands on it for too long.

And thats with the exhaust shields on.

And the Exhaust under the car and on the outside.

By crickey that'll get warm* in the cabin.

Not to mention what might happen if you get a blow in teh exhaust on the inside of the car. Exhaust gases aren't fun.

*By Warm and I mean fooking hot.

9. Alfonzo bonzo Forum Member

See if you can get a go in that car, ull see what everyone is talking about.
    The best way to do it is to use full syncro running gear, the way thats done is just a waste of time, i would have expected more form a main stream company.

Ive managed to get an r32 lump and 02m 4x4 gearbox into a mk2 with a turbo on it and the downpipe/exhaust DONT run in the car. Its was not a syncro tunnel either!

You do see cars with the exhaust in the car for whatever GOOD reason but 99.9% of them are not road cars.

10. prof Forum Addict

there's an 800bhp vr6 mk1 with 4x4 using a standard tunnel that doesn't have the exhaust inside the shell. which is a good idea as imagine how much heat energy goes through the exhaust when you have 800bhp...

I'd insist they plate over where they have cut the shell, and repipe the exhaust accordingly

11. AngryBob Forum Member

Doesnt seem to be alot of talk on this thread these days! Whats going on Dave?

12. prof Forum Addict

are they still building this?

13. challice Forum Member

its finished an its mine...

been giving it death ever since ive picked it up an its never missed a beat...

as to the exhuast say what you will but it only gets as hot as the heating does which helps really as my matrix has burst...

the main reason its runs were it does is simplicity, its a 8v gti which has the smallist tunnel out the lot, the decision was made not to run a twin system as the down pipe would be crap for power as trying to split it in two to go either side of the prop would mean very small diameter pipe...

easyer to run it through the car with a decent downpipe an even size from front to back, there is NO room to fit both down the tunnel simply not possible, yes the tunnel could have been changed for a bigger one but that would mean getting new tunnel an a rallye/syncro heater as mine is about cm above the tunnel, an even more time cutting an welding, if you keep things simple they work...very well!

no syncro gear is used in this, the hole back end is haldex as is the 6spd box an t box with a mk4 mount custom tt/mk2 front shafts, shortened tt rear shafts with custom arms an custom GAZ coilovers, custom front prop with 2 cv so it can run at a slight angle, SQS haldex controller with 12v cut off to run fwd or 4wd...

i saw someone put abut syncro running gear an using that, the reason it wasnt its because its weak an has no chance of putting up with the abuse i give it or the bhp its goin to be producing in the next yr...

im chuffed to bits with this, it looks like a nice mk2 gti but with the engine an 4wd thats not really noticable enless you know your vdubs it suits me to the ground...

the exhuast is goin to be boxed in over xams by a friend whos a fabricating genuis but thats just to make it look pretty...

cheers

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  14. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

bet that cost you a pretty penny!!! you didn't consider an elise then? :lol: only kidding btw.

Still running the 300 ish brake?

15. challice Forum Member

quite a bit, took long enough to save up for but worth every penny, haha erm nope...

yeah its around the 300 mark though im due to be on the rollers 5th dec so will be able to get a read out with out spinning the wheels...:thumbup:

16. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

What was mentioned was use the Synchro/Rallye beam, but not the diff...

That of course would be too weak, but the beam would be more than up to the job, with the Haldex mounted to it.

But, if what you`ve got works...it works...

The main thing is you`re happy with it. :thumbup:

17. challice Forum Member

ah i see yeah spose as they bolt right in, never mind its all good...

18. Tomo IOW Forum Member

sounds good, im toying with the idea, but finding out all the infoa and parts needed

19. challice Forum Member

it would be worth it with your engine strapped to it...:thumbup:

20. Tomo IOW Forum Member

i think , the biggest hurdle is making everything fit, . i had idea of making a tunnel , or using synrco floor pans. synrco rear beam and fit rear diff using welded plates.

did you have to make up new driveshafts front and back ? where did you get those from ? have you got rear adjustable toe as well. it sounds like a lot of work , but now i have unit and spare mk2 golf, the project is 'do able' i reckon lol