Mk2 Golf Power Steering

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by rbracing, Apr 3, 2018.

1. rbracing

rbracing Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I'm contemplating removing the power from my steering since my Mk2 Golf is only used for racing and every hp per kg counts... Something I should have considered before all the beer, wine, pizza (and easter eggs) I destroyed over the weekend - FFS! [:@)];)

Anyway, I have read that you can either install a bypass loop into the system, or do the job properly(?) and remove the seals from inside the rack, pack with grease, plug all the holes, spot weld the pinion shaft together, install a modified drive belt direct to waterpump and hey presto - High geared manual rack!

Before I start this little project, I'd be much obliged if anyone has any advice/pointers that I should be considering before I go all in. Thanks in advance to any resident gurus who have time to share their knowledge - It is very much appreciated. :thumbup:

Cheers, Ro.

2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If it was me i'd keep the power steering but go to a electric power steering pump in instead Citroen Saxo have this kind of setup

3. rbracing

Cheers for the reply - Fair one Mushy although I don't really see the point spunking money on a new pump considering the car doesn't really need power steering. I like the idea of chinning off as much weight as possible and ditching the pump, hoses and that annoying little fluid bottle that always gets in the way. Plus, there's something pure about steering bareback. :o:)

4. MUSHY 16V

I hear what your saying i've had both types of racks though not a quick rack on a non power steering i have to say i like the power steering even though I drove with unassisted longer

as you say most people just loop the pipe but if i did it I'd remove the piston and screw plugs in all the holes as you said
    probably no need to weld the pinion

5. rbracing

Yeah I'm with you, the power steering feels pretty good. I'm just at a crossroads as the engine is currently out and being rebuilt (hopefully finished soon as I've got a race in two weeks!) and I'm looking at ways to simplify the engine bay as much as possible. My power steering pump has always been noisy anyway so figured I'd love an excuse to bin it.

MUSHY 16V likes this.
  6. MUSHY 16V

better start working out now lol remember having Mazda 323 for a few weeks when my mk2 was gatting fixed and getting it back and thinking sure it wasn't as heavy as that before

7. MUSHY 16V

Jon old may have some input on this if he spots it

8. rbracing

lol Nothing wrong with a bit of free phys! [8D]

That would be great.[8D][8D][8D]

9. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Rallying / racing is my main use of mk1/2/Ibiza's. All have quick racks. All have electric PS.
    Rationale: You can't catch snap oversteer properly on race tyres with a std rack.
    Quick racks are non PS only. And a quick rack needs the assistance to work properly
    as the steering too heavy due to LSD's and me being too old...........
    If your young, strong and use a large steering wheel maybe you don't need assistance?
    Jon

10. rbracing

Haha - Cheers for the tips Jon. [8D][8D][8D]

11. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

If you go the EPS route, try and make it so it changes maps by itself by adding a speed signal into its ECU. Having a
    potentiometer on the dash to do it seem wrong to me.
    Let us know what you decide
    Jon

12. Farmerchris

Farmerchris Paid Member Paid Member

I've onll driven my mk2 without pas. It's very cumbersome manovering at slow speeds. Having wide tyres doesn't help either. I know yours is just for track but it's worth bearing in mind

13. Jon Olds Forum Junkie

Never mind in the pits, what happens when the back end lets go? Need lock to catch it!
    If you can't its generally called a crash
    So says the voice of experience, many many times
    Jon