mk2 golf with mk3 tank and mk4 pump

Discussion in 'Engines' started by M7R, May 20, 2010.

1. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

I wasnt 100% sure where this would fit so if its the wrong bit im sorry.

I have a mk2 gti 8v running a 20vt and the weak link is the fuel pump, its running flat out and now starting to high putch whine when fuel is low and it also appears to be weeping as along the join on the bottom the dirt is a darker colour and wipes off easier....

so when I got the car it also came with a mk3 tank fitted with a mk4 fuel pump, so I am think now is the time to get this on... the wiring shouldnt be a problem... but is there anything I should note on the fuel lines? my plan was run from the tank to the original fuel pump with reinforced fuel line pipe, and then from the pump by-pass the old pump and join up with the fuel lines heading off to the engine bay for the return do the same pretty much.

also is there any way to clean the tank out? it should be clean as it was stored outside but had the filler neck blocked off, but I would rather make sure its clean before its on the car rather than once fitted and find I have a blocked filter or buggered pump.

cheers

Karl.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

probably easier to just fit a replacment pump, mk2 16v will be more than enough for you. if you really want the MK3 tank/pump then I'd change the fuel lines, rather not have to mess about with joiny pieces under the car. since tank is coming off anyway fuel line replacement would be easy!

the MK4 pump uses push fit lines iirc? if so, get all the fuel lines from a MK4. or get a MK3 fuel pump + lines, VR6 pump will be more than enough for you

3. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

There will have to be a joint anyways for the fuel filter that sits under the car,... but having said that is a mk2 16v pump a straight swap? ie 8v pump off 16v one on? or is there more faffing about with lift pumps in tanks etc etc??? im just looking for the easyist least mess methord for upping the fueling so the KO4 can be wound back to the full 260+bhp it should be running (boost is currently limited to about10 psi on full chat

4. rubjonny

good point, just be 1 joiny bit required then. its your call really!

with the 16v pump it uses barbed fittings, but what you can do is chop the pipe on the main pump to get the barbed fitting out then fit a std MK2 digifant fuel filter then the oem line will push onto it. I'll get a piccy of the pump to show you what I mean. Other option is to bu a barbed fitting for it off ebay, loads of them on there last time I checked. GSF sell the p[lastic housing for the 16v pump, and its gen vag. I'd recommend you replace the housing and the 3 screws that hold the pump in, and also buy 4 new rubber mounts. Then you know you wont ever have to touch the under car pump again :thumbup:

As it happens I have a spare k-jet pump which I was saving just in case, but I might be convinced to part with it ;)

5. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

Cheers John,

I will have a look at the mk4 pump and see how messy it will be, if I can do it neat then I will go that route, failing that I will go 16v pump, the only reason being I already have the mk3 tank and mk4 pump waiting in the loft of the garage plus i know the mk4 pump should be good for well over what power i want to run.

6. rubjonny

in your shoes I'd use the mk3 tank & mk4 pump, id be off to the scrappy stripping the filter housing off a mk3/mk4 and fuel lines off a mk4 :)

7. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

scrappy some point this weekend then :)

8. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

if its of any help I just fitted a mk3 tank and pump with lines and filter to my mk2.

the tank itself is a straight fit if you use the mk3 tank straps, if you keep your mk2 straps you need to space one end with washers and longer bolts.

the mk3 lines are all the corect length - i used all mk3 ones

the mk3 fuel filter will bolt up nicely to the studs for your old mk2 pump housing if you use the mk3 fuel filter housing.

dont know anything about the mk4 pump but assuming its a direct replacement for the mk3 in-tank one then the lines will all reach.

hope thats of use

9. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

aahhh cheers for that, I was going to keep the mk2 filter and lines and just use pipe to mate the 2 but I will have a look for full mk3 lines as that would be a neater fix.

I have some other straps.. but not sure if they are mk2 or 3

10. rubjonny

same part number for mk2 & 3 straps now anyway :)

11. skint_golfer

the mk3 bits do look neat, almost like they were always meant to have been there :thumbup: be sure and get the plastic filter housing too when you get the lines or you'll be resorting to zipties :lol:

maybe so, but I still found my mk2 straps to be about an inch to short [8(] I suppose it could have just been a slight difference in the floor pans that I didnt notice....

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  12. nealey Forum Junkie

Maybe your car has been backwards into an object that was harder than the car Rich!!! :lol:

13. skint_golfer

doubt it, that shells straight enought to make you look like graham nortons "special" friend!

14. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

right I am doing this today, what have others done about the breather pipe from the tank? as id rather it not just be flapping about in the wind...

also wiring for the fuel pump? any one know what wire to what? I have a connector for the mk4 tank with flying leads, so its just a case of chop and connect.. but not sure whats connects to what

15. rubjonny

take it off and plumb/cap off as per the mk2 tank. basically convert the mk3 tank to be the same as the mk2 tank that comes off :)

16. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

right my problem is the mk2 tank wasnt plumbed into anything.... ill post the pics,

17. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

mk2 tank:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

mk3 with mk4 pump

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

im guessing from this pic:

[​IMG]

that the pipe loose is correct?

18. rubjonny

fit the mk2 bit from the end of the black plastic pipe on the mk3 tank and you should be good to go :)

19. M7R

M7R CGTI Regional Host

right I have bolted it all up, the mk3 tank has been fitted as it was with the breather pipe leading down the neck to vent on top of the tank.

Also my mk2 straps fitted fine, the only thing I had to do was losely fit one end of the strap then the other and then you could do them both up nice and tight.

also should the mk3 tank filler sit slightly lower? mines about 10mm lower in the hole in the body work.

20. rubjonny

not something anyone has mentioned before, does the rubber trim bit still fit? if not maybe need the MK3 one?