Mk2 GTI 16V Oak Green - rebuild

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Greigzy, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Greigzy Forum Member

So I picked up a mk2 from my friend Al last week, since he is leaving to the Netherlands! It came with a heap of spares and stuff which I will list below!

Basic Spec:
    Mk2 Golf GTI 16V
    Oak Green
    Widetrack
    2.0l ABF fitted with hydro clutch
    Mk3 Shifter
    Mk3 fuel tank
    Fully polybushed.
    Mk4 rear brakes

Spare ABF (will be selling)
    BBS RX2 Anni wheels (will be selling)
    Full stainless milltek :)
    Spare clean UV interior

So based on the spec, you would think we would be winning! But no :lol: . The car hasnt been on the road for at least 10 years. Although the engine once ran, it hasnt ran in about 6 years. A rat made its home in it (cue me wearing a mask and gloves to clear out). The boot was where it lived and it was filled with **** :huh:). Paint has randomly split from one side if the car (guessing a previous paint job).

As it arrived last week:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Crying as it left Alz.

So this weekend, I spent all day Sunday on it! And I'm chuffed :). I stripped the interior or all the rat chewed/**** mk3 interior and carpets and all the spares. Which gave me a nice, clean, rust free floor and boot :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Continuing on the bodywork theme:
    Floors - good
    Sills - good
    Fuel filler area - rust free
    Scuttle - rust free
    Inner scuttle - rust free
    Battery tray - rust free
    Rear arches - rust free

The worst part is the rear quarter on the driver side. I have ground it back so its nice and silver (although some pitting) and etch primed it for now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Plan/timeline is as follows:
    From now to New Year - tidy engine bay, service engine with new timing belt etc, new brakes, coilovers
    New year to March, seal all the arches, clean underside (although it looks super clean as is).
    March to June - get it painted (full exterior), refit the interior, find nice wheels and drive to the Netherlands to see Al :)

Sorry for the long post, I hope you enjoyed the read.

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I've a soft spot for Oak Green MK2s and love a good restoration thread.

It's really good actually that, despite first appearances, the state of your shell is actually pretty sound. Especially the floors.

Please keep this updated!

3. notenoughtime

notenoughtime Moderator Moderator

Nice to see a new build thread start, looks reasonable :thumbup:

I've got a drivers door and wing but they are in atlas grey but solid!

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I'd recommend having these for sure, and getting them painted. If you do a deal and end up using a courier to get the door to Aberdeen, I'd recommend building a sturdy wooden frame around it. I had a courier deliver a MK2 door to me and sadly along the way it had got dropped and bent. :(

5. Greigzy Forum Member

Cheers for the comments so far!

The doors are tempting, but hoping for oak green ones, so I dont have to get the insides of the doors painted! If I dont find anything suitable within the next few weeks I'll give you a message :)

6. notenoughtime

That's fine I would like to keep the car water tight for the time being anyway :thumbup:

I very much doubt an oak green door will turn up but you may be lucky!

7. Greigzy Forum Member

Haven't touched this in a couple of weeks, but we have some progress!

Firstly, it runs! Fresh fuel and a new battery and it fired into life on the second turn of the key!

I also stripped it a little further. Both front wings were rotten, so they have been skipped. The front inner wings are in good condition, driver side rust free all the way down to the sill. Passenger side the same, but it needs a patch about the size of a 50p on the. The sills can be confirmed as rust free, as can the jacking points. The passenger side rear arch is mint. The driver side is a little crusty after sanding it back, so will tidy this up before paint.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I picked up coilovers, and a rear carpet last week. I have also picked up the correct bolts, spacers etc for running 312mm brakes, I just need to get the carriers. The plan is still to have the brakes and coilovers on and the arches all sealed. I was planning on taking off the factory underseal on the floor, however, since it has done such a good job of keeping the floor and sills solid to date, I plan to keep this as is, and redo the parts I removed at the jacking points to check if they were solid.

notenoughtime likes this.
  8. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

Keep the updates coming mate :thumbup:

9. notenoughtime

Looking at the first pics I thought it maybe a bit worse than it has turned out

Well done :thumbup:

10. Greigzy Forum Member

I've been very lucky so far! Will have to do dig the DSLR out, the phone pics look naff on a big screen lol

11. sports racer Forum Member

Keep the posts coming. Always good to see another MK2 being put back on the road.

12. Greigzy Forum Member

So, it's been a busy couple of months and an even busier weekend, with some great progress made. Yesterday, I went and collected a set of coilovers, 16v rear lights, G60 front arches and a clutch pedal from my friend Ally.

[​IMG]

Over the past few weekends, I have spent a lot of time on the underside and on all the arches, removing any underseal that looked worse for wear, general tidying up. I also welded up the small hole on the passenger inner wing.

[​IMG]

This meant I could get all the coilovers on, new discs and callipers on. Unfortunately I ordered the wrong pads, so will get new ones this week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the rear I have put on the coilovers (need to do the top mounts after I have finished the brakes), new bearings and discs. For info, I am using mk4 rear calipers on this. Annoyingly I didnt think to check if the carriers had sliders, so have ordered some and will fit them next weekend. The callipers have been tidied up and the pads fit on this.

[​IMG]

I have ran the handbrake cables into place, and made a new brass handbrake pipe think that feeds into the car out of some copper pipe.

Finally, I picked up some wheels last week. They are OZ Racing magnesium wheels, made for Prodrive for using on Subaru Impreza rally cars. They need reformed, but put one on quickly with the ridiculous up in the air stance. They are 15" so I am concerned they may look a little small, but will wait and see once refurbed and with tyres on:

[​IMG]

Thats all for now. Next weekend I am hoping to have the exhaust on, brakes and clutch bled in the hope it will be a running and moving car. Then I can started getting the body ready for paint.

13. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

If you ever decide to sell them wheels, let me know.

Build is looking good :)

14. Greigzy Forum Member

So, even though there are not many photos - progress updated!

So do date I have now done the following:

Stripped underside and repaint/sealed underside
    Refurbed callipers, new discs and pads all round
    Coilovers and new topmounts on
    New rear brake lines, new braided hoses all round
    Clutch cylinder changed for a corrado one. Clutch pedal fitted

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seats, door cards and carpet purchased. Seats are Mk3 GTI edition seats, already narrowed to fit into a mk2. The door cards are UV ones so should tie in nicely.

[​IMG]

Unfortunately I tore a ligament in my hand 3 weeks ago, so progress has been slow. However, a full repsray has been organised for a few weeks time, so this weekend, I'll be finishing the stripping down of the car and starting the prep work (with guidance) so it is ready primering.I almost through in the towel last week, but this has given me a big boost and I am really looking forward to it coming back all pretty and green :)

[​IMG]

Coakers and beetie like this.
  15. evil-G-nius New Member

Those seats are GORGEOUS! I also love the Jamiroquai sticker in the window! LoL

Greigzy likes this.
  16. Greigzy Forum Member

It's been a busy weekend, and I'm knackered! Friday/Saturday I detailed my friend Lupo GTIand Sunday/Monday I did more on the golf.

Sunday:*Got the rear suspension finished on the golf, and fitted*my front brake lines done too. Then finished stripping the golf. Then started stripping the paint off the rear quarter and the roof - unfortunately this needed to be done as the was moisture under the paint. Most of my Sunday looked like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Monday:*The painter (called Greg) came round about 9. Greg had given my the list of things to buy to prep the car, so he showed/explained what I needed to do to each panel. I finished the paint stripping on the roof (took aaaaaaaages) as Greg prepped the rear quarter, smoothing it and sorting small dents.

Andrew came about 10.30 and helped me prep the rest of the panels. These include the passenger door, rear quarter, wings and bonnet - which have been done in 180 grit, 320 grit and red scotch. The roof and rear quarter that were stopped to bare metal have been prepped with 80 grit and 120 grit, then wiped with metal wipe before being wiped with a zinc wipe.*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The photos don't do the amount of work justice. In total its about 28 hours or prep altogether with a good part of that thanks to Andrew and Greg. So a massive thank you to them and to Greg for his guidance so far.

Greg is coming back on Wednesday to do the zinc primer on the roof and rear quarter and potentially the high build primer too.*The other prep I plan on doing this weekend is the rubbing down of the bootlid the driver door and the bumpers. Then we get the rest of the car primed.

17. Greigzy Forum Member

Etch primer done on roof and rear quarter:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 coats of high build primer on the roof, sunroof, and rear quarter:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Greg doing his thang:

[​IMG]

This weekend I will prep the rest of the car (boot lid, door and bumpers) then Greg will come and do the primer on the rest of the car!

18. Greigzy Forum Member

So last weekend I prepped the rest of the car for priming this week. So the passenger side, bonnet and drivers door were 180, 320, red scotched. The boot lid from steesh was also stripped down and had the same prep completed.

Greg went round a couple of nights this week to sort out a couple of dents. Then tonight he primed the whole car! I kinda stood around and dried the paint in between the coats. 3 coats of primer, like the rest of the car were sprayed on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tomorrow night, Greg's friend the panel beater is coming to sort the little dents in the roof. It will then be reprimed with a couple of other panels that need extra TLC. Then the primer will be flatted back and it should be ready for paint. Probably in 2-3 weeks.

19. Greigzy Forum Member

So it's been a while since the last update. Open uni coursework and exams has kept me really busy these past 3/4 weeks, but Greg has cracked on his spare time, when not working on his lupo.

At the end of April, Greg's panel beater pal came and sorted the dents out in the roof. It looked like heavy hailstones had hit it at some point:

[​IMG]

Greg has then reprimed the roof and driver rear quarter and the whole car has been flatted back, ready for paint*
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After my uni exam tomorrow, I go on holiday for 2 weeks, and when I am back Greg goes on holiday for 2 weeks. Provisional date for paint is first/second week in July (can't remember which).

Massive thank you to Greg for all the work so far.

Coakers, Sirguydo and blis like this.
  20. Greigzy Forum Member