Cupracraigs MK2 GTI 20v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by cupracraig, Mar 5, 2018.

1. BISSONE Forum Member

Any reason why you want to remove all of the sealer? When I did my Mk3 (which we all know are rust buckets) I decided to just strip of all the areas with corrosion and checked all over to make sure I hadn’t missed any bits. Took it as far as good metal and either cut out and welded in new metal or wire wheeled the steel up to remove 99% of the rust the treated with POR-15 Metal prep which I found to be a good product then primer, seam sealer and stone chipped over the top. Not saying it’s the best way Possible but bar a full strip and resto it seemed the best option for the areas that needed doing. Been over 12 months and all still looking good.

2. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

Well there are areas that will need doing that were just covered in wax before so i though i might aswell refresh the whole area with new stuff.

3. waj27 Forum Member

Good to see more progress on this and perfect time to get to those bits to sort out.

4. cupracraig

Another little (big) update:

I stripped out the interior one evening wen the kids went to bed:
    [​IMG]

I broke a couple of the clips that hold the heater controls in place, i took the wires off to lubricate them, this has always been a bug bear of mine that its all so stiff.. Some dry lube for the bicycle chain was a good thing to use. not greasy and messy, leaves a teflon type coating and its now nice and free.

There is no intrustion of water into the cabin :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I breathed a sigh of relief when i took the window out:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes, theres rust, but it looks like just superficial rust, so i would not need to have a pannel put in! should save on bodyshop costs.

I took the ECU apart to have a nosey inside:

06A 906 018CG

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

They did a nice neat job off the Immo off.
    the ECU is accessible through Vagcom and the port i installed in the cabin, so maybe just bolt a K03s onto it and get that mod done while the engine is out.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    erreesse likes this.
  5. cupracraig

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

hmm so it is, actually slightly cheaper to buy it direct from VW/TPS at £49, part number 1J0971658M

7. cupracraig

thanks John :)

Spent a couple hours in the garage undoing the connections and untangling the loom... I never made a pretty job of it back when i did the conversion, so as i am going to be tucking it all away, now is the time to re-do a few connections, wrap where required and make sure its as neat and tidy as possible.

This is what i was faced with (all the bits of tape are just some temp labels)! i have labelled each of the connections as they came out so it will all go back in nicely.

[​IMG]

I need to get the engine out (primarily for paint work to begin) etc to make some room for pulling the loom back through the bulkhead under the brake servo.

Things that need doing to the loom:
    • de-tangle where applicable
    • re-route the live feed - Battery is being re-located to the boot.
    • locate the ecu inside of the car and in an accessible location
    • Purchase the coil pack repair \ update kit as in previous posts. This will do away with the ignition amplifier and simplify the system - will need to change coil packs and probably the cam cover to match.
    • Route the lighting harness' down the chassis legs
    • wrap the loom in nylon sleeving - the cloth tape i used a few years ago is grim - not using that again
    • label all the connections with proper labels and heat shrink them on.

I think thats it for now.

thanks for looking, Craig

8. cupracraig

Thanks John.

So i guess i'd just need to get new coilpacks and a cam cover to match too? no point in getting conversion plates when a cam cover is so cheap?

9. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nice feet ;)

looking good, shame it’s happening through the summer so you can’t enjoy it :(

10. cupracraig

haha yeah i should have worn shoes, some glass shards about from taking the window out.

I'm just happy that i got to use it in the initial weeks of lockdown (I help care for my dad in the mornings). The body shop said it should only be with them for a couple of week tops so i could have the car back together in a month from the day it leaves i would think

11. rubjonny

so far as I know yeah just change the cover but 20v mechanical side not my strong suit as they dont really interest me all that much, I just do the wirings :lol:

12. cupracraig

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    erreesse likes this.
  13. cupracraig

@rubjonny i have read in another forum that you have posted before about under carpet sound deadening and a recommendation for product? i've removed mine ready for some work and although the material is ok, the rubber backing splits. was there a generally preferred product for our use?

14. rubjonny

Think I put links somewhere in my thread:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...-then-abf-now-abf-management-widetrack.85893/

the stuff I bought works well and is a fail bit lighter as it doesnt have the bitumen backing on it. but on the flip side the deadening may not work quite as effectively as original due to this. but as all the deadening in mine was totally wrecked anyway the new stuff is doing a better job than what was left of the original :lol:

you can replicate or exceed original performance by applying suitable high density lining to the floorpan direct then drop the new fabric stuff on top :)

15. cupracraig

The ebay links are dead but the pictures give a good idea! so thank you :)

i'll use your good idea and make a pattern for the replacements using the old stuff. The old bitumen stuff is so heavy so i'm sure we can drop a few kg's in adding fresh stuff.

i may also do the cabin loom like you have, wrapping it makes it so much neater.

16. rubjonny

yeah the fluffy loom tape is great for interior looms, also helps reduce squeaks :)

17. cupracraig

I took the chance over the last few nights to make corrections and updates to the internal wiring harness. Fixed some of the connections and wrapped the loom to make it neat and tidy.

The steering column harness is cable tied together and i always hated how it squeezed in, so i unded the cable tie and its actually a few smaller separate looms, so having them apart will make for a nicer install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The car gets collected tomorrow and goes off to the body shop, hoping for a 2 week turnaround and get it back on the road in August

oldnick likes this.
  18. waj27 Forum Member

That looks really good wiring.!

cupracraig likes this.
  19. cupracraig

well when getting the car ready to ship i found some small holes on the n/s footwell.. only small but added it to the list of things for the body shop to sort.

[​IMG]

Then off she went.. will speak to the body shop on monday as they had friday afternoon to assess it.

[​IMG]

20. cupracraig

Still waiting on the body shop to make a start, a bit fustrating as its been with them 2 weeks now. i was hoping ot have it back in the next week and begin putting it back together for the rest of the summer.

I spoke to Tuning Technics about some mapping once the turbo was changed over but he no longer travels and i'd need to get the car to him..with a k04 on it i don't think it would be possible to drive it there for mapping.. and getting it there on a truck would cost a fair chunk. So i'm just going to put the AGU back in as is..its pretty damn quick as it is anyway.

I will be on the look out for a new engine, ecu and loom, ideally K04 based but not on the BAM hype. I will then make up a loom and get that engine ready for a later transplant, selling on the AGU elements to re-coup some costs. A couple of advantages to this.. Out of the box power improvement initially and then it will be much easier to get mapped later on when i eventually seek more power.