Cupracraigs MK2 GTI 20v

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by cupracraig, Mar 5, 2018.

1. cupracraig

cupracraig Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks dude, i appreciate the offer!
    i'll get the rears on this week and see how it sits. Nobody ever gets on the car other than me so hopefully it will be ok

dodgy likes this.
  2. cupracraig

davkav likes this.
  3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Looks good, didnt realise was 5 stud, are you running mk3 widetrack, if so what are wheel size and et?
    Mine looks a bit close chucking the spares I had on at weekend.

4. cupracraig

its using some 18mm 4x100 to 5x114 adapters from G23 Engineering which were always the best ones you could buy, i got them for £150 off ebay from someone that ordered some but never used them.

Wheels are really custom after all the dicking about i did with them.

originally

bbs rs137 PCD=5x114.3 Diameter=16 Width=7 Offset=45 CB=60 Lips=0.5" Barrels=6"
    bbs rs225 PCD=5x114.3 Diameter=16 Width=8 Offset=45 CB=60 Lips=1" Barrels=6.5"

now:
    bbs rs137 PCD=5x114.3 Diameter=16 Width=8 Offset=27 CB=60 Lips=1.5" Barrels=6"
    bbs rs225 PCD=5x114.3 Diameter=16 Width=8.5 Offset=27 CB=60 Lips=1.5" Barrels=6.5"

Spacers decrease offset so they should now both be 27 (45-18)

Basically with the adapters on i get rear beam clearance by about 5mm, so you couldn't fit a bigger barrel on them without fabrication.

The pirelli tyres have a small amount of stretch on them, nothing mad as they are a 195/45, a 40 profile would hav ebeen nice on the front and some of these kids out there run 165 profiles to their wheels, which seems pointless to me really. I wanted the Euro look but also with the ability to put the power down.

dodgy likes this.
  5. cupracraig

Very much feeling the "fuck it, i'm going to sell it and buy a 7.5R" vibe at the moment.

Dunno if i can be arsed with all the fiddling any more. probably because ive had 3 nights of no sleep..but i wonder if a 30 something is really suited to a mk2 now

jshep73 likes this.
  6. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Hang on to it for a while longer. When you get a bit older you'll realise how good it is!

7. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

I'm nearly 50, and I'd rather drive the mk2 than the newer stuff, they can be a pain, but would regret it if sold I'm sure.

cupracraig likes this.
  8. BISSONE Forum Member

Deffinately don’t sell it now you have put so much effort in! I had an Oak Green 16v Big Bumper years ago and sold it when I had my first child and was looking to buy a house. Regret it all the time. If nothing else holding on to this is money in the bank as they are a good investment! As nice as it is to have a newer car with less faff they generally depreciate! Unless it’s a 911 or something :lol:

9. davkav

davkav Paid Member Paid Member

What are you smoking! :lol:

I've a mk7 Gti PP as my daily. The mk2 is by far my favourite of the two. It is so much more rewarding to drive. The mk7 handles better, has 3 times the power etc but it just doesn't have that driver feedback and smiles per mile. You would be mad to sell. You have more in the car than what you would get by selling it, and you would regret it in my opinion.

However, I have 3 kids and I couldn't drive the mk2 as my daily from the safety perspective alone.

cupracraig likes this.
  10. cupracraig

Yeah i have a Qashqai as a daily (also have 3 kids) and the MK2 is basically a weekend toy. I think it was just me being tired and having spent months working on the car.
    Now its running well and looking half decent again, its not too bad.

Some jobs to sort out but isn't there always something

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dragonfly and dodgy like this.
  11. cupracraig

time to have a stab at the Recaros..its hard to make a good template as the material has obviously stretched over time to fit the form of the foam, but.. as i'm not using leather this time around, it should be a bit more forgiving.

[​IMG]IMG_20210513_164901 by Laxadams, on Flickr

[​IMG]IMG_20210513_170652 by Laxadams, on Flickr

for the first go, i'm just going to be using some black suede material for the bolsters but the final versions will likely be some form of dark tweed

davkav and dodgy like this.
  12. cupracraig

The Recaro plan didnt work, i was a dab hand with the sewing machine but i don't have the skills for sewing up some mock bolster covers... I'll stick to pillows for now haha!

I ordered a new oil temp sender for the VDO, 049919563A but its under reading as temps generlly sit around 80 degrees and i it used to be about 100, so either the t-piece is being cooled by air flow too much, the sender is wrong or its actually come as a 0-180 degree one.. Its such a ball ache as that part number is right for 0-150 but so many of them are 0-180

13. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the confusion comes from etka, which says 0-180. but in reality they're 0-150, says so on the side :)

your one is a genuine VW with correct number on the side to its the right part, its used so may be inaccurate. other thing thats worth a look is your T piece design, the cheaper ones arent deep enough inside I've seen oil switches bottom out in the middle hole and so oil flow to the end is reduced. plus if you have a a long T piece the oil reaching the end isnt going to be flowing all that much if you get me vs switches which are threaded directly to oil filter housing. and like you say, longer T pieces could get cooled by airflow

cupracraig likes this.
  14. cupracraig

I've had a knock from the front end under braking for a little while and i decided to chase it down and be gone with it.

Having a look at the front drivers swing arm bushes, its noted that there is too much play between the bolt and sleeve on the polybush. @Savagesam noted that its missing a sleeve, so i've gone and bought some LemforderTT bushes to replace those rear poly ones. Poly have been fine in terms of ride but i'm not sure i would replace Poly for Poly again.

link to the thread talking about them: https://www.clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/tt-rear-wishbone-bushes-on-mk2.220800/

Part number 8NO 407 181 B

[​IMG]

dodgy likes this.
  15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the sleeve is only needed to centralise the bush before you crank bolt tight, VW miss the sleeve for the MK3 golf and elsawin specifically says 'this is fine'

problem with poly rear wishbone bush is they're square profile bush in a square profile hole and so resist wishbone movement in its normal direction, somethings got to give. front poly are ok as they allow movement in normal direction

TT are good compromise, best are spherical bearings but not really practical for a road car

cupracraig likes this.
  16. cupracraig

just a small update in that the TT Bush was a real improvement! the knock has gone now.

On of my BBS is leaking air, looks like i forgot to locktight the nuts (just had so much going on i must have forgotten).. i've decided to send them off for a colour change and to get the barrels done at the same time. I just cant be arsed to fuck about with them any more.

Hyper silver faces, satin black barrels and a re-build. Probably get soem radinox lips for the rears too as i have Radinox on the front and they are much brighter than the rear polished ali lips

17. waj27 Forum Member

Great to see more on this and want to see how those Radinox lips look like.

18. cupracraig

now this is only the readers rides section...but it has made me happy today

[​IMG]

jshep73 likes this.
  19. jshep73 Forum Member

Love that!!

Is it correct you have an AGU engine? Cable throttle and narrowband ECU still?

My first mod was remove the electric windows and convert to manual!

dodgy likes this.
  20. cupracraig

Yep, ah man i got so tired of reaching over to qind the windows! i have rear electric pop outs coming soon too.

yes its AGU cable and narrow, but its at the sweet spot for me now. If the engine ever dies, i'll chaneg to K04 based unit