Mk2 GTI 8v, Best Head?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Osprey, May 3, 2004.

1. ianb Forum Member

A MK2, 2 Litre 8V is quicker as an everyday road car IMO.

More expensive to mod from start to finnish but it depends how you drive and what you want it for.

Tubs..........Chris's car would seriously give your motor a hard time and would be quicker than my or your car in the real world.Flat out it has the same power as yours and has alot more torque lower/mid range.

16v's are better suited for flat out/track driving but are hard work on the road......it's all about individual requirement.

Once my valver goes I will be going down the IHI route as per Bill's MKIV but I will liase with him over his experience what's best done at different stages.

Ian

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I`m just thinking of Gary`s essentially stock 2l 16v and saying nothing [:$].

3. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Are the supersprint manis matched to the OE exhaust port sizes or was that a job that Autotechnic done?

4. Skeete New Member

I have a Mk3 2.0 8v and I dont want a 16v.. I am in exactly the same position where I am concidering a Pack C head, but I have read that dependant on Cam setup it could damage my Catalyst as the engine would pump out too much hydrocarbon.

Does anyone know what Cam would be best to get an 8v mk3 currently running 122Bhp to about 150bhp with a Pack C head.. Also would this effect the engine mounts adversely as already I get what I consider a lot of engine movement and this inturn is recking exhaust mounts...

Cheers
    Skeete..

PS: I have only just signed up so no pic of my little beauty yet...

5. Osprey Forum Member

Lots of good information guys, thanks. [:D]

So now i'm thinking a little about the 16v conversion. GTI69, did you do the conversion yourself? Is it basically a case of swapping the engine over and using the mk2 loom or do I need the 16v loom? My cars a '91 so is it right that if i do need the loom it pretty much plugs right in. Also can i keep my original gearbox, just fitting a new clutch and pressure plate as Chrismc suggested.

I've had a look around some scrappies websites and there doesn't seem to be many 16v mk3's breaking. Maybe i'm just looking in the wrong place. If this conversion is cheaper and gives more power, it seems like the logical way forward.

Cheers,

Osprey

6. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Skeete - You can get a longer duration CAM than the standard OE where theres not enough overlap to pump unburnt petrol out the exhaust. I'm running one such cam at the moment. Still sitting on std valive size head tho and gonna be remapped in the next couple of months. Get a BIG VALVE head - std exhaust valves just like CHRISMC says are a waste of time... I made the same mistake as Chris and initially fitted a std valved flowed head (pity cause everthing else has been flowed and matched [:$] )I dunno how I'm gonna justify fitting a new head to the GF... May be I'll have to fib and say the HG is gone...:lol:

7. GTi69 Forum Member

Designa Dubs fitted my ABF for me, you will need the ABF loom if you are going to use an ABF engine, unless you want to go the K-Jet route. I used my 8v gearbox with a new sachs clutch.
    My car is a 91 too, that makes the wiring much easier.

Seat's also had the ABF engine ;)

The engine is really good, has good low down torque (in a mk2!) and screams right round to the red line, to say i am happy is an understatement :lol:

You can probably get the ABF engine cheaper but mine was low milage so cost more. I paid 500 for the engine.
    Edited by: GTi69

8. Osprey Forum Member

Cheers GTi69, looks like i'll just have to keep a look out for a suitbale engine then. Not really in a big hurry, it'd be a good summer project i think!

Would it also be better to source a mk2 16v rev counter that shows the red line higher or does this really make no difference? Sorry for all the questions! [:$]

Cheers,

Osprey

9. GTi69 Forum Member

I have kept my 8v clocks, the power runs out about 6700 anyway i think.

10. Osprey Forum Member

Thanks, oh well I'll just be on the lookout for an engine now and maybe some 16v badges... ;)

Btw GTi69, nice car...mine's is the same except different wheels and i don't have a grille spoiler. [:D]

Cheers,

Osprey

11. GTi69 Forum Member

It doesn't have those wheels any more, it is now sporting some corrado G60 BBS jobbies :lol: I need to update my sig really!

12. Skeete New Member

Cheers G60Dub....

I have been looking at that TSR Pack C head with the bigger valves, the 600 one. Will this take me to the magic 150bhp ?

I have not got the ECU changed yet and this was on the cards after the head.

Cheers.
    Skeete

13. jc.. Forum Member

Don't get the 16v badges!! if anything I would even remove the Gti stuff...then when you spank supposedly superior cars on the [cough] private race track[cough] (or the M1) they are left wondering what hit them!!

14. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Yep Skeete I think so - Speak to CHRISMC and he'll give you the low down. This is what I'm eventually aiming for - It's going to get remapped just now just to get it running sweet. I'm guessing with the work I've done I'll get 135-140 at the fly but to get the rest you need the big exhaust valves so the head will come off at some point in the future. Cant do it just now as the GF would go absolutley spare and throwing another few $$ at the head.

15. GTi69 Forum Member

I am not adding any 16v badges to mine, people think it's still an 8v :lol: :lol:

16. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

People think mines a VR6 which pi$$e$ me off...;)All show and no go - crappy 2 litres! Oh well will soon me a bit more pokey.