Mk2 GTI Body Restoration

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by 89Alpine, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Ray P Paid Member Paid Member

Yes it would I got some for mine just in case I ever need them but can't remember were i got them.

2. 89Alpine Forum Member

Hi Ray - do you mean swage line decals? I've now got some from ebay so will see how this goes. They look the correct texture but we'll see.

3. Ray P Paid Member Paid Member

Yes I have both and sill and rear window mine was from VW stickers top quality but you have to cut the swage line stickers down.

Sent from my F3111 using Tapatalk

4. Ray P Paid Member Paid Member

Just a thought if you ever get the rear window one get it with no holes in it and cut them out after it's a lot easier to fit.

5. 89Alpine Forum Member

Thanks for the heads up on the side stickers. Already have the rear hatch sticker on the car - was applied by the bodyshop :-)

6. Ray P Paid Member Paid Member

Just refurbed these for a golf I am doing for my boss. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. 89Alpine Forum Member

They look good - thought the refurb kit I got from eBay was pretty good for 6.

8. 89Alpine Forum Member

Picture from my early morning run from Bath to the South East last weekend to take the car to a garage to investigate the steering issue, amongst other things... The nearside rear tyre appears to be scrubbing on the arch trim, which is strange as the other side is fine!

IMG_7972.jpg

9. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Hello mate, have to apologies for not getting back to you! I've been off the forum for a while.

Glad you got sorted with the stickers from the body shop, I see they have just used a red pin stripe.
    If you need a set that matches the genuine ones (with the black background) let me know!

Car looks cracking, well done.

10. 89Alpine Forum Member

Thanks Cope. May well be in touch in the future.

Car is currently at the garage having a load of small jobs done, including getting the original speedo working, oil change, MOT, addressing issue with rear wheels scrubbing the arch trims, sorting the issue with the steering (starting with wheel alignment) & fixing an airleak that is causing it to run rich.

11. 89Alpine Forum Member

Hi all,

The garage are struggling to locate a manifold/servo vacuum hose (192611931B). Wondered if anyone had one knocking around - heritage list a 16v one but not an 8v. Car is a 1989 8v GTI.
    thanks and seasons greetings!

Dan

12. 89Alpine Forum Member

Part located via these pages! Thanks Club GTI and happy new year to all! :thumbup:

13. 89Alpine Forum Member

Hi All,

Have the car back now and took a few pics last week but I don't seem to be able to embed links the way I used to after moving my photo storage to Google Photos - can anyone offer any advice? All of my past pictures have gone due to issues I had with onedrive. I'll try to get them uploaded again for completeness sake at some point!

With the car I still need to get the rear arch rubbing sorted out but we're into the minor bits now! Does anyone have any recommendations for bringing the colour back into the bumpers?

Thanks!

Dan

14. 89Alpine Forum Member

15. 89Alpine Forum Member

16. 89Alpine Forum Member

ah, seems to be working now. Must have been user error!

17. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

Looking good mate.
    With the bumpers I originally tried boiled linseed oil which worked a treat but didn't last long. Then onto heat gun method which works amazingly so far on the bit I've tried.

18. GrannyRacer Paid Member Paid Member

It will be well worth it. Got mine done some years ago and although it looked nice and tidy...…….. dealer replaced just about every panel. Stripped tp bare, 2 primers, 3 paint and then Superguarded. Good to hear of "rescues" x

19. 89Alpine Forum Member

thanks DN5 - will look into the heat gun approach!

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who got more than they bargained for with a restoration GrannyRacer!

20. 89Alpine Forum Member

I've actually decided against getting the rear arches cut to fit the wheels and have bought some BBS RA's which will be going on the car this weekend once I've had tyres put on them.

For that reason (and much as I really don't want to!) the RM's will be for sale soon :-(