Mk2 Gti PB Mkstarting issue

Discussion in '8-valve' started by valvemiester, Oct 10, 2019.

1. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Hi got a starting issue with my golf gti mk2 it's a 8v PB 2Litre conversion, know I have a starting issue hot and cold it needs throttle to get it to start and needs a bit of throttle to keep it running for the first 5 to 10 seconds then it will idle when it's driving there are no running problems any advice welcome.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

have a read here first:
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...ose-and-tune-your-mk2-digifant-gti-8v.124949/

once set up right the digifant ecu can run the 2.0 engine without issues like this so give it a good once over. maybe the coolant sensor is a little intermittent. on mine it would never start on first crank of the key cold no matter how long I held it. 2nd crank, always fired right up. new sensor, problem solved!

3. valvemiester

Thanks RJ will do I had set it up with your guide a couple of years ago and it had been all good first time starter hot and cold it's just developed this problem recently

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Did it ever work as expected as a 2.0?
    PB with 2.0 bottom end so running all Digifant 2 dress kit, like the MAF, throttle body, airbox and so on yes?

5. valvemiester

Hi yes it's standard 1.8 PB head and injectors, MAF, throttle body airfix and filter, everything is standard 1.8 PB except block which is a 2 Litre AWG all has been running well for around two years until now it's still running well when driving it's just when you try to start it hot or cold has been worse starting when hot though no throttle and either it won't fire or it fires up but cuts out straight away, if you start it with throttle and take your foot of the throttle immediately it will cut out as well.

6. Andrew Powell New Member

I have a similar issue with hot starting only on a 2ltr 2E 8v Gti engine. It starts first time cold and runs ok once started. I've had a chap check the Maf sensor and connections to the ecu and clean the throttle body, changed the temp sensor and we're stumped. it's been to 3 local garages before this and no one can solve the mystery any ideas as its bugging the hell out of me

7. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

I'd go back to basics with them - spark plugs, HT leads, distributor cap, rotor and a genuine VW blue sensor along with checking the ISV and warm-up circuit and check all your earths and ECU connections. They generally don't cause problems and if all of the above are sorted/OK then you should be in business

Andrew Powell likes this.
  8. Andrew Powell New Member

Thanks I'll try the basic it's baffling me why it starts cold and won't fire up warm the isv and warm up circuit sound potential areas to investigate next I assume it's unlikely to be over fueling from poor injectors as there controlled from the ecu?