MK2: Motometer speedo in VDO cluster?

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Peter, Aug 27, 2020.

1. Peter Forum Member

Both CE2
    Both 120mph
    VDO = Non MFA but digital clock
    Motometer = Large analogue clock

Looking to fit a rev counter to my 1.3 (4E) , I don't want to change the speedo drive in order to use the 120 VDO (from a 1.6/1.8 Driver) so was hoping to put the 1.3 Motometer speedo into the VDO cluster, has anyone done this successfully? I have a vinyl for the tacho face so it should look ok

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    ger16v likes this.
  2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yep will fit fine, but the 1.0-1.3 speedometer is slightly different calibration to the 1.6-1.8 so keep the VDO speedometer in case it goes in a big block car later on down the line.

the 1.0-1.3 box is totally different to the 1.6-1.8 so theres no speedo drive to change anyway, thats only for the 020 type box as the drive gear needs to match the differential inside the gearbox. its nothing to do with the speedometer itself, the reason is on the 020 box the speedometer is driven from the output shaft so the gear needs to take into account the different differential ratios available. on the 084/5 box like you have and the cable shift 02a/j/etc the speedometer is driven off the differential so only one gear needed

3. Peter Forum Member

Many thanks John, I wasn’t aware of the differences so that’s good to know, I’m guessing that’s why people suggest a1.3 speedo cable when swapping a vr6 of 1.8t?

4. rubjonny

you need the 1.3 cable just because of the gearbox speed sender, 085/086 and 02a/02j just happen to have the same threaded fitting up top thats all, the internals and sender unit are all different inside :)

5. Red_n_dead Forum Member

Hey Guys,

Sorry to hijack the thread. I've gone back to my MK2 ABF project after having neglected it for 12x years! I have 160mph mk2 clocks in a 1990 shell with an ABF and o2A gearbox.

Would I also just need to get a 1.3 cable as a straight fit or is it a matter of getting that and making a "frankenstein" cable along with a cable for the original 1.8pb engine?

Thanks!

6. rubjonny

yep 1.3 cable, screws right to the 02a box sender. if its still got the plug on top unscrew that first

Red_n_dead likes this.
  7. Red_n_dead Forum Member

Perfect! Thank you John, much appreciated!

Any year in particular?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
  8. rubjonny

any age 1.1-1.3 will do for mk2, they're all same fit

Red_n_dead likes this.
  9. Red_n_dead Forum Member

Great! Thanks John! Have a good weekend!