Mk2 Oil Filter/Cooler Removal and gaskets

Discussion in '8-valve' started by mike.s, Feb 16, 2018.

1. mike.s New Member

Hi,

I have a bad oil leak coming from somewhere around the oil filter housing on my mk2 - its a 91 8v gti - can anyone confirm the deep socket size i need to remove it?

Also, there are two gaskets i think? A rubber one for the filter mount and another between the cooler and block? Can i get them locally do you think or is it an order online job?

Finally - do i need to drain the coolant when removing it from the block or is it sealed in the oil cooler?

Cheers, MIke

2. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

There are two part numbers for the block to bracket gasket 026115441A & 028115441C the shape of the bracket should tell you which. Between the bracket and oil cooler seal is 038117070A. It just says hexagon nut so I couldn't tell you the size except its 3/4" thread.

3. mike.s New Member

Thank you :-) Where did you get those part numbers - is there somewhere online?

4. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

Parts Catalogue. There is an online one, but I'm not sure what it is now.

5. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

There is an online parts catalogue at Etka.cc - although some broadband providers try to block it.

The Febi version of the oil cooler seal may be easier to get hold of - part number 18776 - 4.23 from Amazon for example.

There was a recent thread somewhere where someone had a problem getting hold of the housing to block gasket. The solution was to buy some gasket "paper" and simply trace the old one and cut a new one.

You won't need to drain the coolant in the oil cooler BUT you may find there's not enough room/ slack in the hoses to slide it off the oil filter housing. I haven't had a mk2 for a few years so memory on this is a bit fuzzy. Worst case you can undo the threaded bolt from the oil filter housing.

Again from memory I think you need a 6mm allen socket for the housing to block bolts.

6. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

The nut holding on the cooler... I think it's 27mm or 30mm. It's a standard metric size, not a weird feetninches thing.

7. jamesa Forum Junkie

Finite likes this.