Mk2 outer sill replacement

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by HoneyBeard13, Sep 5, 2020.

1. HoneyBeard13 New Member

Looking for a bit of help need to replace the outer sill on the driver side. Rusted through from rear arch to driver door and patches along the rest. So replacing the whole length.

Had a look on heritage for the parts 2 very different priced pannels looking to find out if anyone has bought these is the quality difference really worth the 130 extra?

I know the old saying you get what you pay for but I could buy most of the other pannels I will need with that.

2. davidut5 Forum Member

Attached Files:

erreesse likes this.
  3. HoneyBeard13 New Member

Perfect thanks I can see the pics due to permissions but can see the thumbnails :)

A more technical question that came to mind. I suspect I will have to cut the inner sill out once I start cutting. Do I need to add temp structure to stop the body moving or is there enough strength on the body without the sills ?

4. H8V

h8v Forum Member

Earlier this year I welded a lot of my 1990 GTi. Fuel filler support bracket, repairs to arches and outer sills both sides, together with any other dodgy patches I spotted. Klokk panels were fine, though a bit thinner than the original steel. For that reason, and to avoid having to match my lovely matt white paint, I just replaced the rusty areas and luckily that meant everything was hidden behind the black plastic arch and sill covers.

There is plenty of strength in the sills (inner and a centre section) even when the outer sill is removed.

I hadn't realised that vwheritage sell rear inner wheel arch plastic liners, so I fitted them too. Wish I'd known earlier.

Finished off by spraying in all the cavities; Dinitrol ML then nice thick and greasy 3125HS, which needs to be heated and used in a decent cavity injection spray.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  5. HoneyBeard13 New Member

Think i'll go for the cheaper ones :p i was more worried if i start to cut out the inner sill as well but hoped the centre section will hold it all in place :) most of the rust will be hidden so not worried about show quality finish anyway.

I am planning to coat every bit i can in some kind of protection not fully decided which one.