mk2 red speedo/gearbox cog fitting *HELP*

Discussion in 'Engines' started by Black-Mk2-GTI, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Black-Mk2-GTI Forum Member

I just ordered a red cog that attatches to the end of the speedo cable on a Mk2 Golf GTI 8v, as when I changed the speedo cable a few months ago I dropped the old cog into the gearbox (Duh! [:$]) and now I got the new cog Im unsure how to fit it as can't remember how I took off the old cog...I dunno if I have the wrong one.

This is the cable end...
    [​IMG]

This is the cog...
    [​IMG]

and this is the sirclip included...
    [​IMG]

How does it go together apart from on the end of the cable?! where does the sirclip go?! The sqaure end of the speedo cable doesn't seem long enough to go inside the square opening inside red cog! Im puzzled and if anybody can help I would much appretiate this. Im not usually stuck on things like this but I don't wanna lose another one of these inside the geabox again by it not being secured correctly.

Thanks!
    Edited by: Black-Mk2-GTI

2. Black-Mk2-GTI Forum Member

Somebody must know? Is there only two types of speedo cog/gears that you can buy (red or white)? Does the sirclip go in between the gap of the sticky out bits on end of the cable? look like this...

---||- -----
    ---||- -----
    ____________/
    Edited by: Black-Mk2-GTI

3. Phil

Phil Forum Member

Put the clip on the metal bit near the end where the groove is, and then slide the drive on.
    When it is correctly fitted you'll see the clip through the hole in the drive. :)

4. Black-Mk2-GTI Forum Member

I put it on and pushed on as far as possible (it got jammed on the metal casing of the end of the speedo). I pulled it off and it remained attatched to the bit it should be on, though I couldnt see the circlip through the tiny hole...only part of the square shaped thin long thing (If you understand LoL) Should this be ok? I can't push it on any more without it getting stuck so theres no movement for the cog to twist.

5. Phil

Phil Forum Member

The square bit of metal goes in the square bit of plastic. Remember Playschool?? :lol: :lol:

6. T U C Forum Member

i had the same problem. pulled the red cog off the old cable and threw it in the bin. then wondered why the cog kept falling off. got some strange looks from the neighbours as i climbed into the wheelie bin.

Put the red thing on without the circlip. you will find it very loose. put the circlip on in the groove, push red thing on 'gently' and u will feel it click into position. give it a little tug abd it doesnt move, then just insert back into gearbox. job done!

7. Black-Mk2-GTI Forum Member

LoL Phil...I'm not that stupid :p and with the last cog that I lost in the gearbox, that was loose on the speedo cable, this new cog I got wasn't loose on the cable without the sirclip, and it seemed the square opening inside it was too far away for the square shaped metal to reach...put the sirclip on and pushed it on as far as possible, there wasn't any clicking noise but its hard to pull it off now but not totally convinsed I got the right cog (my mum picked it up! LoL). Do the parts I've got look right? My cars a Digifant if that makes a difference?

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

All the O20 boxes are the same, only difference being red/white speedo gears

Put the circlip in the groove,push red gear over it so the pointed bit is at the bottom - job done :p

9. Black-Mk2-GTI Forum Member