Mk2 VR6 conversion - Identifying connectors/ wires

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by J66KE B, Feb 13, 2021.

1. J66KE B Forum Member

Hello all - Currently restoring my Mk2 VR6. Have just removed the 2.8 vr engine and loom as I'll be selling to replace with a BFH :)

I'll be selling the pre-converted loom with the engine, so as I disconnecting each plug I have been labelling each connection up to make it easier for the next owner, and also to try and learn/ understand the wiring a little better. There are a few ones I missed, and a few wires/ connectors that weren't in use and that I can't identify.

Have used RJ's fusebox FAQ for years now and has been really useful for identifying issues with some of the non-engine related electrical bits. However I'm struggling to get my head around the engine side.

I found this ECU pinout and went about trying to identify some of the unknown wires. My 2.8 is an OBD1. - http://www.a2resource.com/electrical/management/motronicvr6aba.html

Can someone educate me on how to go about identifying connectors and wiring - Where I need to look etc etc. I really want to learn but need a bit of guidance to get started.

Pics below of the connectors/ wires that I can't work out - Some of them I may be close, but others I can't get anywhere with! Imagine some of you guys on here will know what they are straight off the bat -

IMG_2717.jpg IMG_2724.jpeg IMG_2723.jpeg IMG_2722.jpeg IMG_2721.jpeg

43 - Data Link Connector (K-Line) - Gray/White > If this is correct I have no idea what it is lol.
    IMG_2719.jpeg

Air con connector?
    IMG_2718.jpeg

This one was connected to the Mk3 VR6 instrument cluster on Pin14. I found an instrument cluster wiring table here - https://www.vwvortex.com/threads/the-unofficial-cluster-swap-thread.3078876/ but it says Pin14 'Not used' ??? The only Red/black entry in the ECU pinout list is "Coil Signal (ABA, VR6 Dist.)"

IMG_2725.jpeg

Unplugged these without labelling them up.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

2 pin roundy plugs in engine bay plus the random red/black fusebox side - brake pad warning

2 pin brown brown/red and red/black - coolant pump & thermoswitch feeds to fan control module

2 pin white/red and brown/white - outside temp sensor for MFA

grey/white - diagnostics, should have a brown plug opn the end to plug into diagnostics/immobiliser wiring inside car

green plug - aircon as you say

big 4 pin - lambda

white 3 pin - knock or crank sensor, cant remember off hand which is which but can tell by wire colours (peel boot back)