MK2 VR6 won't start after being sat :(

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Batler, May 15, 2020.

1. Batler New Member

Hi,

Been trying to get help on this from Facebook but not had much luck so thought I'd ask here!

Basically my MK2 VR6 has been sat for a couple of years and it won't start. The fuel rail isn't getting fuel so for now it's a fuel issue.

The ECU relay and the fuel relay both click but the fuel pump doesn't prime. I put the 18 relay in the fuel pump slot and I can hear a hum at ignition 1 (doesn't sound like a good hum but I can't remember what it's supposed to sound like) but still not fuel getting to the rail.

My plan for tomorrow is to get a hose on the lift pump to see if it's actually pumping anything with the 18 relay in.

Does this sound like the lift pump is knackered or is it more likely to be wiring?

Cheers!

2. costel1969

costel1969 Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,
    I'm not the expert here by any means and I'm sure RJ, Tristan and others will have a lot more advice but in my own experience it won't be the wiring unless you've had a visitation from rodents or the car has gotten extremely wet/damp where you've stored it and the connections have become corroded. The wiring (unless it was knackered to begin with) tends to hold it's own but pumps, relays, filters etc. need to be operated reasonably regularly as they get sticky/jammed/gummed up and cause a bit of havoc. My guess is that the pump has had it or is gummed up and needs to be removed and inspected.

That's all I have but the real brains of the outfit will chime in shortly no doubt

3. Batler New Member

Yeah I have a feeling some mice have got in tbh and the sunroof leaked a bit as there was condensation and a bit of mold. I'm going to have the dash off tomorrow anyway I'm just hoping for no chewed wires!

I don't know much about fuel pumps, I had the lift pump out and it looks decent but looks can be deceiving. I don't know if the noise is just the motor running but not actually pumping or if it wouldn't make a noise at all if it's goosed

4. costel1969

You could try and give the pump voltage (presuming it's 12V and see if it does anything) disconnect it from car's wiring and give it a short burst just to see if it turns

5. Batler New Member

Update,

The lift pump works and is pumping. The main pump underneath isn't and I don't have a spare here I only have a Bosch 044 inline.

I hate that parts places aren't open during the weekend :(

Edit: I checked with the multimeter and it's getting battery volts. The pump itself has continuity but I'm not sure what else to check to make sure it's actually dud and not just stuck a little

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  6. Rubbadub New Member

Could be worth putting 12v to it and giving it a few tap with a rubber mallet

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

try reversing the voltage also, but I would say its probably had it and wants replacing. maybe bin the lot and go mk3 tank, probably cheaper and easier than trying to get the parts to rebuild the mk2 pump unless you get lucky

8. Batler New Member

Yeah so I replaced the pump and the new pump works however I am not getting fuel to the rail still. I put some carb cleaner in and it fired up but obviously won't idle. So I know I have spark.

Need to figure out why fuel isn't getting to the rail now!

I will change to vr6 tank and pump at some point, I just need to move it for now to get it in my garage

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

so if you pull the feed line off the rail no fuel comes out when cranking? I assume you put a new filter on there, if so take the feed line off the pump and see if it sprays out there. if so then kicked or blocked fuel line I guess

what fuel pump is it? if kjet the non-return valve inside the threaded fitting on pump may have gone, had this on my mk1

10. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

The main pump is seized.

100706614_10157364966155496_6806685482328522752_o.jpg

99011036_10157364966240496_500959736955404288_o.jpg

I do not advise this unless you know what you are doing, but I managed to get mine going again.

11. Batler New Member

I did not replace the filter stupidly.

It's an 8v kjet pump. I don't know what you mean by the threaded fitting. My next job is to check the fuel lines to see if they're blocked.

Toyotec, I replaced the pump now.

12. Batler New Member

Bit of an update, put new fuel in it and it fired up and runs perfect. The old fuel was obviously stale although it was still flammable.

At least now I can move it to the garage to start making improvements!

13. costel1969

Great stuff