Mk2 VW Golf GTi 16v - Engine Start Problems

Discussion in 'Engines' started by dan_1987, Jul 27, 2007.

1. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

I should have a replacement Air Breather Hose on its way so I can soon eliminate that being the cause...unless of course it solves the problem. [:D]

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

dont rush to assume its the cold start injector, it could be the coolant temp sensor for it isn't working, its the 2 pin one on the right side of the engine block IIRC. Put a multimeter across the terminals of the sensor and I think it should pass current when cold, then stop when the engine warms up, but don't quote me on that. Another thing you could try is to put the cold start injector in a jar, block the hole, start hte car then bridge the pins on the sensor plug, I believe this should make it squirt fuel :)

Obv wait for a second oppinion on this as I've never done this personally, as I've not had the pleasure of owning a 16v (yet)

3. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Thanks for your input. It's definitely a possible cause, but I am starting to think this problem is not temperature related. I've been carrying out a few tests when I'm out driving. The engine still doesn't always start when it's warm. It's pure luck. Sometimes it'll fire up immediately. Other times, it takes longer, and a bit of gas helps it out.

Any idea's? Thanks for all your help so far guys. Much appreciated. :thumbup:

4. golf16vgti Forum Member

Like i said in my previous reply. Had similar problem. Car would start fine first thing in the morning. Then 9 hours later get in turn key and have to give it bit of throttle to start.
    Changed cold start valve no change.[:^(]
    Tried another wur no change.[:^(]
    Changed coolant temp sender for cold start no change.[:^(]
    Got myself fuel pressure accumulator form gsf and both pipes from vag. Now she starts first time every time.
    Its not to difficult but best to have both pipes and fit new filter.
    Best to have little fuel in tank as possible.
    Also if you change the pipe from the pump it has a non return valve which can come undone.

5. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Brilliant, that got to be whats causing this. Is there any guide explaining how to go about the repair. Do you happen to have part numbers for the pipes too?

So I'll need:
    Fuel Pressure Accumulator
    Fuel filter
    Both pipes

Thanks. :thumbup:

6. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Can I also check. The fuel pressure accumulator is different to the fuel pump? I won't have to fart about setting pressures will I? Is it a simple 'swap the parts over and I'm done' repair? No tweaking etc?

Thanks,
    Dan

7. vegabass Forum Member

Get a new non-return valve while you're taking that lot apart. Oh and one of those bendy pipes with the rubber section in is about 30 from VW... had to replace it on mine because when I changed the fuel assumulator, non-return valvue and fuel filter the pipe broke off when I started undoing the nut.

No tweaking required, just undo pipes, swap accumulator, filter, non-retun valve and do everything up. Run the engine and check for leaks. Make sure you fit the non-retun valve the correct way.

8. golf16vgti Forum Member

Vag items
    191201218 fuel pipe to filter approx 30
    191201373 fuel pipe from pump approx 30
    893133511 fuel filter approx 15
    049133696B seal 2off approx 2.50 ea.
    N0138128 seal 4off approx 25p ea.
    The accumulator is about 160 from vag but got mine from GSF for 86 plus vat.
    GSF part number 18765.
    The only thing to watch out for is the retaining clamp bolts. Mine where both rusted up and sheared (thankfully) when removing them.
    VAG part numbers
    N01021710 bolt M6X20 2off
    N01100636 nut M6 2off
    Only pennies form vag.
    Non return valve part number 893906093 approx 22 from vag.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2007
  9. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Ooo...lots of money! I suppose using second hand parts is a bit pointless. I might take a look at the only GTi at my local scrappy and try to salvage a few good bits.

MOT is due in September, so I'll wait until that's all done and out the way first.

Thank you so much guys. I think I owe some people a pint! ;)

10. vegabass Forum Member

Once you've replaced that lot at VW you won't be able to afford a pint! :lol: things like the accumulator are worth getting second hand if possible.

11. n171az New Member

I had the same problem

i own a gti 16v on a g plate and it was perfect to start with and i had the same problem, at first i thought it was the starter and alternator, so i replaced them with brand new parts from gsf..a few months down the line it had the same problem again..and my babby is just sitting on our drive rotting away..[:^(]
    ive tried starting it with jumps and it soes but as soon as i switch it off and try starting it it just does not happen ive replaced my battery and spark plugs, ht leads, rotar and distributor caps, had it serviced (did it myself) and it still hasnt done the trick..can anyone help me with this..Please please please ill be for in your debt..

12. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Just had a thought. Could the problem be caused by old injectors? The engine always starts when I give it a kick of gas.

I have yet to touch the accumulator due to MOT issues, but its on my 'to do' list.

13. rubjonny

it is possible yes, you can get a new set of brass merc injectors for 50 off ebay :thumbup:

14. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Guys, this problem is getting worse. Sometimes the car is taking ages to start, as in, I'm sitting there for 5-10mins trying to fire it up. Engine turns over, but just doesn't fire.

Off to the scrappy shortly to get an accumulator. Could it not be the fuel pump? Or would a faulty fuel pump cause poor performance when the engine is running also. As soon as mine starts, its absolutely fine.

Any other possibilities, or is the accumulator still my best bet?

15. Mike_H Forum Addict

I've got a spare WUR and CSV if you want to try them... I'm in Windsor, so not far from Marlow.

Did you pull the plugs out and try blowing it out when starting it? Or looking down the plug holes for puddles of petrol? Does the engine oil smell of petrol? If so, it could be the injectors

I've also got spare sensors you can try, if that seems to be the problem.

The Merc ones are now about 16.50 on ebay, each, but that's still half the price of GSF ones.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  16. Mike_H Forum Addict

...and the breather hose will cause it to run leaner.... so tape that up. It won't help, particularly with cold starting.

17. rubjonny

if it was the pump it would run poorly, though you may have a loose connection to one of the pumps, do you hear both prime when you turn the key (as in, the lift pump as well as the main pump)?

18. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Very true. I might have to pop round to see you if thats alright?

I haven't touched the plugs. Do they just pull out? There is often a hint of petrol floating around my car, though I haven't checked the oil for this. I was thinking of buying new Mercedes injectors as you've suggested.

Thanks, Dan

19. Alen_P New Member

Hello ,
    just try to change the litle start comutator ( sorry my english is bad ). Its a litle black box in a place where are the wipers, right corner. It is on the iron plate ....
    I had the same problem too, so just try to borow that part from someone...
    P.S It must be the same motor and i think the same year of car

20. Alen_P New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2007