Mk2 Wishbones - Aftermarket Rubbish? - Or Maybe Not?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Dave, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I recently bought some new Febi Mk2 wishbones to modify to VWMS strengthened design. I chose Febi cos. all of the other aftermarket bones, Meyle, Lemforder & Boge, look wrong from the photos. The photo below is from the UK website of the Febi importers. The wishbones look spot on that's why I ordered them, and at 13.95, appear a bargain!?

[​IMG]

This is the large bush end of an OEM bone from my 1987 PB.

[​IMG]

This is the type of wishbone that arrived. Note the 3 extra small hole between ball joint and small bush. Also note the periphery is a different shape.

[​IMG]

This is the large bush end!

[​IMG]

To my mind they are not as strong and loads into the large bush are eccentric.

I sent the importers photos and details of my concerns, which they inform me that they have passed on to Febi. I also mentioned that I doubt that they are TUV approved!? I am awaiting their collection for return and refund.

So. Are there any aftermarket bones out there which are identical to VW OEM?

I have asked the local dealer to price up some pukka VW wishbones and I am awaiting the price. Quick guess = 100?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  2. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i got a new from vw a good while back i'll see if i can find the pictures i posted next to the original 1987 one
    they are not the same

3. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Silly question #1 Does your original 'bone have a bush in it?

Silly question #2 If you're strengthening it, does it matter? [:s]

4. Admin Guest

In answer to your question, maybe from VAG if they still do them, as for aftermarket, not that I'm aware of, I noticed the same things years ago when fitting poly bushes, the bushes would not fit correctly because of the eccentricity. The buhes needed to be flipped from side to side but the wishbones would not have sat right on the bush, one higher than the other.

i ended up going back to old Gen VAG items. Still have a new Febi hanging around, I also noted on one wishbone i had that the bushes were not quite in the same position as the VAG items, not great if you were only changing one, the car could end up with some interesting geo left to right.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2013
  5. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

I would personally start with Mediablasted good 2nd hand genuine ones Dave?

The thing I most notice about the above(fitted a few to others cars) is they rust very easy after a month.

It would be interesting to weigh both the vw one, and the one above for some comparisons!

For me, 2nd hand genuine parts and work from there. Mediablasting will make welding a breeze too ;)

Brian,

6. Dave

Yes. So I will have to pay for bushes that I am throwing the away! I am fitting VWMS higher shore front bushes, and home made steel spherical rear bushes!

Yes. The strengthening plates and tube don't fit in the different periphery!

Last edited: Aug 23, 2013
  7. Brian.G

Brian.G Forum Member

They could make nice hanging basket brackets? Possibly cheaper too? lol:o

8. MUSHY 16V

can get more pictures if you like
    but as brian has said i would get good second hand one's as even the new vw ones are not the same
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Lennard

Lennard Forum Member

I'll have a look at mine tomorrow, they're mk3 for wide tracking however they might have the design you're after.

10. Admin Guest

Dave, here was my experience with them...

11. Admin Guest

Now stuck for any future people looking at changing those rusty wishbones, think twice lol

12. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

13. whitemk2 Forum Member

Here's a picture of some Delphi ones. They seem to be made a bit better than the Febi ones

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Dave

Sorry. They are identical rubbish! I recon one company is making them and all the aftermarket suppliers?

15. judgie New Member

You will not find one aftermarket part to be the same as oem vw part. That's not how pattern parts are, they can not be identical to the oem part as the manufactor would soon be in trouble from the oem. We have had the same and worse for years in the aircooled vw world, pattern parts are normally ****e and don't fit.
    Resto gen vw parts is the way forward.

16. MUSHY 16V

Are you still after one

17. Dave

Hi Justin.

Thanks for asking, but NWR has a good set for me as well as a good rear axle.

I really must get around to visiting him and Patrick this year!

Regards,

Dave.

18. Dave

Hi Judgie.

You are not 100% right there!

I bought some Audi 100 engine mounts from GSF late last year and they were pukka Audi with the correct part number and colour code, but in a Lemforder box. Obviously Lemforder made the OEM parts.

In real terms it is almost impossible to stop anyone from copying any part exactly as engineering designs are difficult protect. I know this from experience because one of my designs for a unique and inovative Ro-Ro Ferry Ramp has been copied.
    Trouble is though, as in this case, what happens is the company copying the item finds a cheaper way to make it and don't have the engineering expertise to realise that what they are producing is crap. Nor do they care.

Dave.

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  19. MUSHY 16V

Cool Dave I have one sat I'll hid it away in my stock lol

20. jmsheahan CGTI Graphics Designer

Out of interest the Febi arms that polybushes appear to not fit in, do the Lemforder TT bushes fit any better?

Are there any other options available if sourcing second hand genuine arms is a strike out?