MK3 1.3 polo NZ into MK1 golf

Discussion in '8-valve' started by austin-cooper, Apr 10, 2006.

1. austin-cooper Forum Member

Ive just bought a MK3 polo NZ engine that has been converted to a webber carb first off what fuel pump do i use as there is no space in the head for one also do i need to change anything else
    Will the flywheel and clutch mate to the 1.3 driver gearbox or does it need to change what about the water pump and piping as the polo has 5 outputs the golf has 4 mmmmmmmm
    Any help would be good
    Thanks
    Andy:o

2. austin-cooper Forum Member

can nobody help

3. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

not too clued up on the small block engines sorry.

a polo gt lump would be better though! 3F??

4. Unknown Forum Junkie

the 'water manifold' (you know that 1" pipe with other pipes going into it) along the back of the block from the water pump is easy changed (do it while its out as its a bugger insitu) that and changing the plastic bit on the end of the head that the water pipes join to (thermostat housing) will cure most of your pipework troubles and make your original water temp sender fit.
    Get a small aftermarket pump and fit that, make sure its for carbs as it might run waaaay to rich if its getting fuel injection type pressures. Facet or Pierburg make them amongst others.

5. yeha Forum Member

The flywheel and clutch on my Polo AAV went straight into the Golf 4 speed. I didn't change any of the water fittings, they just worked.

6. austin-cooper Forum Member

cheers folks remind me to buy you all a pint at some point
    glad this site is back up and running i was starting to get nervous while putting this engine together
    PS is it easy to do the thrust bearing in situ or should i drop the gearbox at the same time
    Andy

7. Admin Guest

do it while it is apart.

8. austin-cooper Forum Member

gareth 83 is the MK3 polo NZ lump not equal to the GT spec engine i have put the webber on and changed it for the uprated cam should i not be looking more like the same figures
    PS is the thrust bearing imposible to change with the gearbox in situ
    Thanks
    Andy

9. austin-cooper Forum Member

is there no way i can fit the mechanical fuel pump to the engine
    pls help

10. Unknown Forum Junkie

not really, it'll need a hole cutting for the lever that actuates it to poke through then you'll need a new camshaft with the right eccentric to drive the pump not to mention a way of holding the pump to the face of the head as I'll bet they didnt cast the flat part on later heads. You could use the old head but then that would get you nowhere as it's the old mech tappets thingy and will probably need a decent rebuild with guides and seat by now. Its way easier to bolt up any old electric pump under the rear floor and rig up a quick loom with a relay and fuses in the right places. as its a carb it wont need a lift pump, high pressure or even swirl pots as the float chambers will eliminate any surge.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/products/ProductDetail.asp?cls=MSPORT&pcode=FSEBTP001

Doesnt the GT have a higher compression ratio?

11. austin-cooper Forum Member

unknown the pump you left a lead too at demon tweeks has a pressure of 7.5psi to 9 psi ive read elswhere to only use 4psi and a really high gpm is this right if so will an old su electric pump work i have several of those nocking about thanks for the help
    Andy

PS does anyone know the part number for the thrust bearing in the gearbox[:$]

12. Unknown Forum Junkie

I didnt look to much at the link I posted (or I forgot or summat...) might be a bit over spec'd.. as for the SU - that'd do! We used to use the pumps from Jaguar XJ6/12 as we broke a good number and there were 2 in each car so we had loads, worked a treat!

Not got etka on this computer but most places will know the part no for the bearing I'd have thort, just quote the 'box code.

13. t_r_d Forum Member

we do a pump suitable at gsf for this conversion.

i have done a very similar conversion into my brothers mk1 including 5 speed box, so give me a shout if you need any help.

btw the polo gt engine has a higher compression ratio over the nz engine

14. austin-cooper Forum Member

cheers for the help chaps most appreciated only problem is ive gone and slipped a disk getting the old one out so may be a few weeks before i can get back at it

T R D you mentioned a five speed conversion very intresting which box do i use and what else do in need to complete as the engine is out of the car at the moment so ideal time

PS what tool do i need to remove the driveshafts from the gearbox do they retract from the gearbox housing or do i need to undo all the torx head bolts from the shafts

Thanks

Andy

15. yeha Forum Member

You need to make an engine mount to use the 5 speed. I've got some pictures as I'm in the process of doing it.

You need to remove the torx screws to get the shafts off.

16. austin-cooper Forum Member

does anyone know what size torx screws are fitted to the drive shafts so i can buy an driver
    thanks
    Andy

PS yeha what else is needed to fit the five speed box and which engine can i get one off

will a 1.8gti fit or is the shaft different

Ps Yeha hows the golf doing when i saw you on the 62 she was running hot did you sort her out

Andy

17. yeha Forum Member

Just go to GSF and buy the extra long driveshaft tool. It really makes the job so easy.

I initially bought a GTi gearbox mount but then discovered that the small block gearbox is so much shorter that the mount is 6 inches away from it, so I'm using a 1300 mount now. The pictures I have are of this. I have the close ratio Polo GT box, but the guys on ClubPolo tell me that the standard CL 5 speed, which is known as an 8P, is a good compromise having a higher 5th for good cruising. I've still got the Formel E 3+E box on the car, which is good for the long distance stuff, but not really any good for the road rallying that I want to do.

The car running fine. It gets virtually no attention from 1 month to the next. I'm off to London for the 4th time on Thursday. It'll be sat at 80-90 all the way and I don't expect to have any problems. It's great fun at the roundabouts on the A1. I dive down the inside or outside of much faster cars and take them. They then have to chase me down the road. Excellent!

18. austin-cooper Forum Member

Well i finaly got the petrol tank cleaned up painted and installed was just after that that i found thje engine too be shot hence the Nz conversion will get me buy for 6 months until i can aford to 16v it and give ait a small reworking cosmetically

Anyway hope to see you out and about in it

Andy