Mk3 1.8T OR VR6

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by mk3 Man, Jun 23, 2004.

1. mk3 Man Forum Member

hi, i own a mk3 golf 1.4 ryder,and am soon planning to do a conversion to it,either to a 18T or a vr6! which would be the easiest to do and the easiest to come by! how much roughly does it cost to do such a mod,and what problems may arrise out of it? I was thinking about buying a cheap ish vr out of paper or something and just swapping the complete engine and drive train/brakes etc straight onto mine, is this wise?

2. destructiv dave Forum Member

[Steve Cresswell mode on] Why would you transplant an engine to create a car that VW built, the Golf VR6. [Steve Cresswell mode off]

VR would probably be easier if you can get everything needed off of a donor car, whereas 1.8T would possibly need some fabricated parts.

3. MarkGolf Forum Member

VR is easier conversion to do considering it came in the mk3's! Both engines can pretty much be found within not alot of time now-a-days.. but demand is still pretty high, so u gotta be quick!
    To be totally honest, if you haven't done anything major to your mk3, just sell it and buy a VR6.. It does work out cheaper, will be no hassle to you apart from sw*pping bits over which aint hard and will prob be a better option all round really!
    If you want someone else to do the totallll conversion for you, will cost you 4k+ easily!
    You have to fit rear discs, new brake lines with bias valve, larger front discs, master cylinder and servo, hydraulic clutch box/pedal, cluth master cylinder, VR6 subframe, you'll want a GTi/VR rear beam as it has an anti roll bar which DOES alot! then you'll need to put the clocks in, MFA, blah blah blah!!

Is there a reason why you would want to transfer a complete VR into yours??

I'm actually doing this, the only reason I am is because I've spent wayyyyyy tooo much money, time and effort getting my 1.4 to the standard it is! So I pretty much have to finish it off by putting a VR into it! Ideally I'd go for a 20VT, but they cost more! As much hassle as it can be, its fun.. I've done a rear disc conversion, laid new brakes line and fitted a bias valve, got corrado G6O front brakes, fitted VR6 coilovers blah blah.. It has been MAJOR hassle, which I could ahve saved myself by just buying a GOlf VR6 off the shelf.. If you haven't quite gone as far as me and put alot of effort into your 1.4, I'd sell it and buy yourself a VR!

If your stuck by your guns and wanna do the conversion by yourslf, you can save a pooE loads by doin bits yaself and findig the bits yourself!
    My front brake set up was a days job, not even that and cost me 100 + a set of new discs and some paint to clean them up... rear disc conversion inc new beam from a VR was about 140 all in, i also fitted braided lines.. new brake pipes cost me 10 and then the cost ofa cutting tool and bending tool.. It is ALOT of work, and the hassle of stuck bolts is a nightmare, but as I say, its fun and you learn alot! First thing you should do is up-rate the suspension to VR6 spec stuff, then do braking system, then your ready for the engine.. If you bought a written off Golf VR6, then your laughing as you got all ya bits there and u can see how things pull apart and how they are meant to be fitted e.t.c

Wow, gotta rest my fingers!

4. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

as mark says- if ur current mk3 isn't that majorly modified, be chaper to sell it and buy a vr6.

then the money you would spend on a proper 1.8t conversion could be spent on the vr lump!!
    [:D]