MK3 16v bites the dust....but...

Discussion in 'Ooooops!' started by azur, May 8, 2010.

1. azur Forum Member

some tool pulled out in front of me at the weekend in my valver [:x]

was doing about 55.... slammed on the brakes, swerved to avoid killing him side on... clipped the front of his car then hit the crash barrier the other side of the road [:s]

luckily there was nothing coming the other way.... and no one was injured. he got away with a busted bumper and wing...

i lost my front bumper, near side wing and door, wheel arch, rear bumper is scraped. worst thing is that my lovely bbs spilt rims are all damaged... hopefully repairable though.

he was denying liability, with him and his mates in another car saying i was speeding :o

that fact that he hasn't made a claim to his insurance company means he knows he is as guilty as f***.

lucky i clipped him i suppose or he could of denied that incident happened! police and ambulance were called so they would have a report of it too...

will put some pics up soon. car is at the garage to be assessed but i know its an insurance write off.. shame cos it can be fixed.

fate decrees that i might still have a valver though.... mechanic phoned me today saying that he has a 71k mk3 valver with a snapped cambelt.... 3door with leather and aircon. might be able to buy it for 250 and put all my good bits on it to make an uber car!!

have to wait on see!

RIP polly pocket rocket

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Hope you took some pics of the scene on your mobile :thumbup:

The new car sounds like a good buy.

3. theboymike Forum Junkie

That royally sucks. I'd get straight onto your insurance company, and as Mike says photos would be a great help.

I suspect that (if you get the polis involved again) road crash investigators should be able to gauge your speed reasonably from any skid marks and the location of the impact point on the barrier.

I think that, if the claim goes 100% your way you can insist that your car is repaired - might be worth doing if it's only bolt on panels..

Last edited: May 8, 2010
  4. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

RIP-MK3 [:^(]

hello new one :thumbup:

5. IanH Forum Member

Sorry to hear this. [:^(]

Hope it all gets sorted.

Ian...

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

he doesnt stand a chance with liability if the accident circumstances you say are true. he pulled into the path of an oncoming car

if he says you were speeding, then clearly he saw you but still chose to pull out... making him a ******

get down the doctors, tell them it feels like your head is about to fall off. get enough "compo" to make your car into a blinder

what was he driving?

7. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Haha. Stupid people make me feel good about myself.

Hope you get it all sorted mate.

8. azur Forum Member

cheers guys... will put the pics up when i find my phone cable

good news is that the third party has admitted full liability.... and my company have said that my no claims discount is not affected and my excess is waived :thumbup:

bad news is that the garage have estimated 2k worth of damage which means its probably going to be a write off... just waiting for the assessor now...

how much do you reckon they will offer? full market value? how much do they usually deduct for getting the car back?

still waiting to hear about the other 16v... apparently the woman who drives is loves it to bits but her husband doesn't want to fork out 1k for it! heres me hoping that he doesn't!

9. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

they are OBLIGED to put you back in the position you were in before the accident. remember that

therefore they need to pay you the value of your car and its mods etc dont let them fob you off with "heres 900, go buy another mk3" because that would be short changing you.

insist you are put back in the position you were in before the accident

10. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

not quite.... they are obliged to put you back in the position you you were in before the accident within reason and in acordance with what you have declared to your insurer....

therfore if you have a "fair to good, standard" mk3 then they should give you the money to buy another "fair to good, standard" mk3. if you spent 2k on a set of splits without telling your insurance then the other insurer can reasonablly refuse to pay for them as your not claiming for "the car on the policy."

its also up to you to prove what condition the car was in and how much it will cost to replace, i've had to do it twice over the last 3 years and its a pain in the ass [:x] you need lots of adverts, maybe a valuation from a dealer or two for what they would have marketed it for and although ebay adds dont count for much they still help to pad the claim out.

still worth pitching only the highest adds you can find and pressurise them with quotes for the wheels anyway. gives them room to haggle downward while you still get what you need.

good luck :thumbup:

11. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

i dont beleive the part in bold is true at all. what have you got to substantiate that? i dont see why you wouldnt be put back to however you were before the incident occurred

12. mk1 valver

mk1 valver Forum Member

As already said they will almost certainly try fobbing you off with a low 1st claim.

I got offered 600 after deductions for my red mk1, after an "are you fooking mental, i dont think so because...." letter filled with pistonheads adverts i got 1930.

Start gathering adverts now, and make sure you send all correspondence recorded delivery, things tend not to 'turn up' when you dont.

Hope you get it sorted soon mate.

13. azur Forum Member

The wheels weren't declared as i assumed they could be classed as a factory fitted option, seeing as they are listed on the petrol flap. apparently, after speaking to lots of peeps, even with declared mods they are only obliged to put the car back to its original state. don't want to push them on it either in case they decide to void my policy for the undeclared wheels. will just get them refurbed and sell them for around 400.

cool, will start doing that. found one very similar to mine with bbs rx wheels. http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/1621798.htm

14. cometbluecoupe Forum Member

Sorry to hear about the motor, like you said you did well to hit him in some way to involve him in it. I had the same thing with a lorry (different accident but totaly his fault - drove off) and because no one was injured the police didnt give a toss, he just denyed the whole thing (even being on the road to start with) and i was left to repair my golf myself at great expense (TPFF insurance....)

Good luck with whatever route you go down with the new car/rebuild.

Cheers

Dan

15. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

youre not claiming on your own insurance. your own insurance has an obligation to put you back to whatever you declared. with the other guys insurance, it doesnt matter if your in a lada or a lamborghini

id be tempted to contact one of those "claim to gain" companies and theyll set it right for you, provided the other side has admitted liability

16. azur Forum Member

All sorted! 1,510 for the car.... minus 135 to keep it. was expecting them to offer way less. Considering other cars that go for that have less than 100k not 133k! Not bad when it only had 1 months tax left and required a new steering rack and rear beam bushes.

Should get this other car for 200... take the head of mine with a few other bits and I have a mint 71k 3door worth over 2,000! plus i can cannablise mine and sell the goodies. Not bad all in all :)

Oh--- and that equates 600 depreciation in 3 years and 26,000 miles! hold their prices well!

17. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

my car cost me 950. ive had it 4 years and 80k-90k miles. it must be worth something, but the max depreciation i can get is 950 hahaha

glad it got sorted mate

18. azur Forum Member

cheers buddy

looked at this other car today... fook me... LUSH

3door
    full black leather
    twin airbags
    aircon+sunroof!
    front fogs
    vr6 288mm discs!
    8 months tax

200 squids... can't wait

19. azur Forum Member

whoop

+
    heated leather....
    10 CD changer
    Full tank of fuel!

20. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

happy days...... that's a decent pay out too!!!