Mk3 8v tuning - what have you done?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mr.brown, Dec 21, 2003.

1. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

After some opinions/experience really.

I've just stuck a 57i kit on mine and am looking at a remap and s/s exhaust (probably at AmD) in early Feb.

Has anybody else done similar? And what improvements have you noticed?

ALso, has anyone tried Ecotek valves?

Thanks as ever

2. spacka_horror Forum Member

I've just replaced the air filter with a Jetex and the exhaust with a Powerflow. Haven't bothered to have it dyno'ed but it feels better, don't think it's really made a difference at the top end though. Was considering getting it remapped by AMD but don't have the cash at the moment...

3. spacka_horror Forum Member

I've heard the Ecotek valves are utter crap - just make a noise and could actually reduce performance, haven't tried one myself that's just what I've been told. Do a search of the forum for ecotek and you should get lots of threads - it's been quite widely discussed on here.

4. Paradroid Forum Developer Paid Member

Not done much to mine. There doesn't seem to be a great deal that can be done to 2.0l 8v motors.

Drilled airbox is about it, but I am getting it chiped and a new exhaust...AmD/miltek.

5. neilmac Forum Member

Lets face it...MK3 8V's are just too heavy with a under powered engine and not much you can do really......that handle very very well. Such a shame they didnt make it a bit faster!!

Edited by: neilmac

6. binliner Forum Member

thats exactly what I did to mine!

7. Jimbob Forum Member

instead of spending out on all the mods, save for a different engine, im not sure but i imagine the abf 2.0 16v is the easiest way to get power!
    my 1.6 driver is faster than a 8v MK III!
    i might get evil replies to this but i dont think that the 8v has the right to be called a GTI! isnt the 0-60 summin silly like 10.9 seconds?

8. coullstar Forum Member

K&N, AMD chip and supersprint system on my old Raddo 8v. It did make the car feel more responsive and it was a bit quicker. The cars is just to heavy to notice slight bhp improvements.

9. thebluebus Forum Junkie

you lot are making me very depressed about my 8v GTI! hmmmmm i'm gonna scrap it [:^(]

10. Jimbob Forum Member

whats the insurance difference between a 16v and an 8v MK III? is it a lot more for the valver?

11. Dave-in-Herts Forum Member

I'm paying 1100 on my valver, thats a 21 yr old with no no claims bonus, thats with HIC (good company) They quoted 1300 before I told them I was a Club GTi member ! :lol:

The AA are unbelievable, they quoted 7000 fully comp on a mk3 gti 16V [:s]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. coullstar Forum Member

Clean it!!

13. Jimbob Forum Member

14. chrismc Forum Junkie

I didnt think AmD were interested in "Older" N/A cars now...they dont re-chip digi mk2s anyhow..

I am also extremely sceptical that a chip/exhaust makes as much difference that AmD claim.....115BHP-135BHP with a rechip & exhaust seems optimistic. Big driveability change Yes...Big power gain No! (I gained 5 BHP!)

For comparison, my car with flowed Big Valve mk2 head, AmD chip, hot cam & 2L mk3 block makes around 145BHP which is considered about right for the spec..

The head on the mk3 is notoriously CR*P so that would be where the biggest gains are to be found IMO..

15. Paul Forum Member

Non according to Adrian Flux, when I was getting quotes for my 8V MK3 I asked about a 16V and it was the same price :o :clap:

16. Jimbob Forum Member

mr brown, it might be worth looking into a 16v engine, i have been doin research into fitting one to my mk II, i know the abf engines are a litle more expensive (and im unsure what the prices are like where you live) but, i can pick up a 9a 2.0 16v engine cheaper than what it would cost to chip/re map an engine!
    (although i cant say whether the short block engines fit into the MK III the same as the tall blocks.)
    Im only going on prices of a diy transplant as i can do it myself, im going from a 100bhp driver to about 165bhp with loads more tuning potential for around 200. its a different story if ur paying someone 25 an hour to do it for you though!

17. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

If only I had a garage! As I don't I'll have to stick with modding what I've got. Also, insurance is the main problem - mine is a little high for the next couple of years - that's why I bought the 8v. The reason why I thought of a remap is that it's pretty "insurance friendly" ;).

Still, 600 for a remap+exhaust is a bit steep. I might just put the money towards the R32/Mk5 in 2 years time!

18. binliner Forum Member

I had the exhaust and remap and went from 115bhp-134bhp
    they owe me 1 bhp b*stards! ;)

19. gti3_20 Forum Member

134bhp is obtainable on a mk3 8v with exhaust, de-restricted airbox and k&n panel filter. I also have an ecotek valve.

I have the printout to prove it!

20. chrismc Forum Junkie

From AmD???

If it was that easy to gain 20BHP from the factory I cant understand why they only had a feeble 115BHP as standard :p