Mk3 8v tuning - what have you done?

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mr.brown, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Southy_GTI Forum Member

145 mph in a saxo - are you into kamakazi :lol:

2. Jimbob Forum Member

weber
    gti cam
    K&N
    full gti system
    diy ported n polished head/inlet manifold
    4 branch exhaust manifold like tsr's

a 1.6 driver has been rolling roaded with similar/less spec at 107bhp and that is without a 4 branch manifold n they are worth between 5 and 10bhp no?
    is 105bhp an underestimate even?!

3. whitie Forum Member

you cant just add up the bhps, besides, some mods dont work well together

4. Jimbob Forum Member

is this in reference to my post?

5. whitie Forum Member

yes

6. Jimbob Forum Member

what you talking about, i said that there is a golf with almost exactly the same spec as mine with 107bhp right, so if 4 branch manifolds have been proven to add 5 - 10bhp, whats wrong with thinking one will give my car between 5 and 10? probably closer to five i imagine.
    this is goin a bit off topic now from the original thread. sorry

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

:lol: :lol: :lol: You fucking idiot. No you didn't.

8. chrismc Forum Junkie

:clap:

9. binliner Forum Member

10. mark_vr6 Forum Member

Its another lets pick on the 8v mk3 thread. I have a test of a mk3 against a mk2 8v from a popular golf mag and the performance is very similar as standard - mk3 very slightly slower. The big difference is the reduced gti feel over the mk2 due to the weight and suspension settings.

11. RoyF18 Forum Member

Is the mk3 8v engine just a bit pap then? I got 136 bhp on Star Performance's rollers about 3 weeks ago in my recently-converted mk2 1.9 (flowed head, Schrick cam, Supersprint manifold & system).
    Do you have to start spending serious money on the 2L before you can start hitting the 160-170bhp figures? (which I know is possible)

12. M1ST Forum Member

Well, VAGSPORT claim they can get the MK3 8v 2.0L engine up to about 198bhp. But thats going to be serious modding and serious money. They slap a turbo on it, rebuild the engine, forge the pistons etc..
    They quoted about 1800 !
    But you can also get the Neuspeed Superchargers for the 8v engines that will increase the the power by about 50%, which takes it up to about 173bhp ish. I think thats about 1500, dont quote me on that.
    But better off getting a standard vr6 at 170+ bhp. As you'll be insuring the 8v as a modified one and the vr6 as a standard one. Plus if you spend the same amount on a vr6 you'll be hitting well over 200+ bhp.
    Edited by: M1ST

13. chrismc Forum Junkie

As a general rule, the heads are the pap part of a mk3 8v..having said that they must have a very restrictive exhaust & crap mapping, if doing these alone gives up to 135BHP.

To make the 2L work properly, be it in a mk2 or mk3, you HAVE to use a Big Valve head & hotter cam to sort out the breathing & let it rev properly. With a suitable remap this should give 145/150BHP.

Beyond this its serious money IMO, Ultra high compression/ditch the standard injection etc etc

136BHP is about bang on for your 1900...you must be pleased :lol:
    Edited by: chrismc

14. gti3_20 Forum Member

Jimbob you can't say that your mk2 driver is quicker than all mk3 8v gti's just cos you raced a few homo's down your drive!!

Does every one realise there are 3 different engines when we talk about 2.0 8v Mk3 GTI's all of them quite different in a lot of ways. The 2E and the ADY are miles apart, different bore size for a start and don't even look the same!! both are 115bhp factory. The AGG is similar to the ADY though.

15. S1MMA Forum Member

"few homo's"

lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

16. Southy_GTI Forum Member

Doesnt the 2e have a slightly higher CR (Its been suggested that the early mk3's shift a tiny bit better with said lump)

spank me if im wrong...

17. russmw Forum Member

So So wrong! Just because another golf with an engine spec nearly the same as yours gave that reading it doesnt mean yours will. Just look at the RR result variation on standard 16V's on this site? It depends on so many things other than just engine mods.

18. gti3_20 Forum Member

A lot of it depends on how well the engine has been looked after and serviced as well as random variations in the manufacturing process. Everything is tollerances sometimes goes for you sometimes not. Then some mods will harmonise with that on some cars and work against on others. A lot of it is luck to be honnest but also good judgement on what is working and what isn't not just cos I've bought it you have to leave it on. For example I have loads of airfilters in my garage that I've tried and taken off again for that reason.

19. jayxx83 New Member

i have nothing to gain from lying about the saxo case. the standard engine map was very good and the car is a damn sight more aerodynamic than a 1.1 tonne brick which essentially what a mk3 is. i have to admit there was nt any wind that day and the road was slightly downhill but it is true. any way is 3k a reasonable price 4 a 20v transplant

20. S1MMA Forum Member

Do you have the exact figure of the CD factor for a saxo? The mk3 golf is a not too bad 0.30

Also, can you tell me the gearing of your saxo in 5th gear, as in mph per 1000rpm

My mk3 8v has over 22 mph per 1000rpm in 5th.