MK3 Caddy van 20v conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by zx10rdazza, Dec 23, 2015.

1. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Anyone on here converted a mk3 Caddy to 1.8t 20v? I'm thinking of building one next spring with a roll cage ect for trackdays. I like the idea of something different whilst also having the versatility of a van. To keep things simple I was thinking going with golf 4 clocks, ecu, engine and 6sp box. Ideas chaps?

2. mr purple Forum Member

I have a TT engine in one, not too bad a conversion to do. Stick with the caddy clocks as it all works if wired up right with the 1.8t including the traction control. Make the 1.8t engine loom fit the caddy, i've de-immod mine for now but will be putting it back on at some point so long as I can get it to function correctly. Go with the 6speed box, mk4 golf 6sp dirveshafts with mk5 outer cvs.

3. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Sounds good, thanks. Do you have any pics of it?

4. mr purple Forum Member

5. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Are they a mk4 or mk5 platform?

6. dubba Forum Member

7. zx10rdazza Forum Member

That looks a sweet install, I'm not looking forward to the wiring looking at that! Where are you from if you don't mind me asking? I can see I may have to pick your brains when I find a van. :)
    They're based on the Touran I believe?

8. mr purple Forum Member

Bingley, West Yorkshire. Floorpans pretty much the same as a touran up until halfway down the van, all front end subframe is pretty much same as mk5 golf/touran/a3. I'm using front hubs/brakes/suspension from an audi a3. Wiring wasn't too much of a pain of a job once i'd gone through and managed to cross reference everything between the 1.8t engine and caddy wiring. 1st ones always the worst when doing a conversion!

9. zx10rdazza Forum Member

Thanks for that, I'm going to start my search for a van around march time. The mechanicals don't phase me, i'm just not too clever with the electrical side, but saying that there is always plenty of helpful souls on here.lol

10. Sycaddy New Member

Tfsi

Do you fink you could do the 2.0tfsi conversion??

11. mr purple Forum Member

TFSI conversion would be easier on the mechanical side of things as everything from a mk5 golf would pretty much bolt straight in as the touran/golf/a3/octavia/leon are all based on the same chassis at the front end so parts should fit straight in. Only reason I didn't go for the tfsi is the cost factor, for me to get an equivalent power as the tt engine I have fit I would be needing the tt or s3 tfsi with the k04 and they are quite expensive to buy still when compared to the 1.8t with the k04.

Electrics wise it would be a trickier job than the 1.8t but not massively, looms now are built to the car spec from the factory and there is no such thing as taking an engine loom out of one type of car and plugging it in to a similar car as you could in the past. It could be made to work as OEM but would need quite a bit of splicing in to the car.

12. Sycaddy New Member

Does the 1.8t20v bolt straight in with no chopping and welding?also were you put battery?

13. mr purple Forum Member

No chopping and welding. Original caddy body mounts and original tt engine mounts, can't remember which rear lower stabiliser mount I used, there's only one that fits the 02m box though. Use an 02m front wheel drive gearbox ideally.

Battery has been relocated behind the passenger seat, used a caravan battery box with a flat piece of carbon fibre for the lid as its too tall to fit under the seat with its original lid and a small tie down strap to hold it in place.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

14. Sycaddy New Member

Do you do the conversions?? Would it be possible for u to list all the parts i need?

15. mr purple Forum Member

What year and engine van are you starting with?

If you use the 1.8t engine with a fwd 02m box it then bolts in. Driveshafts you use mk4 6 speed driveshafts with mk5 GTi outer CVs, your caddy will need to have 288mm brakes, some of the base models came with 280s which are no good as they use a smaller cv which won't work with the mk5 gti outers (mk5/8p a3 brakes/hubs/suspension will bolt straight on to your caddy). I used the TT gear shifter which just about bolts straight to the caddy, sits a little too far forward ideally but does the job.

You need an intercooler, I have used a touran/caddy tdi front panel with the intercooler and radiator. Intercooler you will need some adaptors/couplers (about 45 for a pair on ebay) to allow you to fit custom pipework to the cooler, washer bottle needs to be relocated (something I have yet to sort properly, it is going to end up behind the drivers seat with a big tank) as it sits right where the turbo pipework is going to go.

Standard TT downpipe can be used, just needs a bracket making for support at the rear, you can use the original caddy one and make it fit the tt pipe, then into the tt cats, from there back it needs to be custom but not bad to do as there's plenty of room under there to get it to fit.

Fuel pump, use the TT pump, it can be made to fit onto the caddy in tank mounting as the bolt holes are the same to swap it over for the caddy one, just need to put some new pipes on there as you'll never get the original vw ones to fit right. In line fuel filter needs adding somewhere on the feed side of the system.

Battery needs relocating as it sits right where the intake pipe sits. Easiest option is under the passenger seat as I mentioned before.

Cant remember which hoses I used for the cooling system, mixture of tt/caddy ones, had to make custom feed from the header tank, most of the on engine pipes stay the 1.8t items, one other thing I did have to do though was to modify one of the heater intake/return connectors as it sits at the wrong angle, I ended up getting another top connector I think and then having to dremel out another locator to enable it to sit 180 from where it would normally sit.

TT brake servo hose had to be modified to fit the caddy, not a big job just need to cut to right length.

There will be loads of little bits I have missed off but that's the majority of the big bits. Best bet is to buy a damaged TT to salvage for bits, that's what I did so I ended up with everything I could need.

I wouldn't want to take on a full conversion really, would be happy to do the wiring side of it though. Might have a mate who would be interested in doing the mechanics side of it though.

16. wirralcarcare6 New Member

Hello buddy awesome post by the way

quick question i am just in the middle of putting the 1.8t into a 2003 caddy using a full donor car seat leon cupra but i just wondering about the power steering will the electronic power steering still work on the caddy

17. ebrahim New Member

18. ebrahim New Member

hi guys im from south africa and own a 2006 vw caddy with bsf 1.6 engine.im looking to do this conversion but we dont have much resources in sa
    things i need help with would be
    1.which o2m gearbox to use eg the code of the gearbox fzq,drw
    2.how to do the wiring to work with original clocks.which wires need to be connected where
    3.all the advise i can get

19. Jack Churchman New Member

Sorry to drag an old post up, I'm looking to do a TFSI conversion can I rack your brains on wiring?

Just need a bit of advice on how to 'join' the engine looms ?

20. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

what car are you planning to put it in?