mk3 clutch cable

Discussion in 'Engines' started by h4mill, Feb 12, 2005.

1. h4mill Forum Member

This is gonna sound stupid but...

Is there any way of adjusting a self-adjusting clutch cable (as on a 1.4 mk3 golf)

Had a new clutch, last one went in spectacular clutch smoking fashion :) but since then the 'bite' has been really low to the floor and most of the time I cant get into reverse without switching the engine off. First and second are a pain too.

Dont think its the linkage (has caused problems in the past)as i can go in and out of gear no problem with the engine switched off, but when its running, well see above.

Help would be much appreciated :)

Edited by: h4mill

2. mattwelcer

mattwelcer Forum Member

There's no real way of adjusting a self adjusting clutch, hence it being self adjusting. ;)

A lot of people will tell you to bin it in favour of the 'normal' manually adjusted clutch cable.

However...;)

The auto adjust cables can be checked to see if they are operating properly. I did this on my other 1.6 Golf 3 and it worked a treat as it seemed to 'reset' it. :p

I'll go and get the proceedure from the Haynes manual. It's really straight forward and worth a try. If this doesn't work then try and get hold of a manual adjusting clutch cable, one from a Golf 2 should do the job!

3. mattwelcer

mattwelcer Forum Member

OK here's what i did with my clutch to check it was operating properly, by the way the gearbox on my 1.6 is the 085. Not sure what you might have on your 1.4 i would assume the same box. This write up is for the 085 box and NOT the 020 gearbox.

1. Sitting in the drivers seat press the clutch pedal (from at rest position all the way to the floor) at least five times.

2. Going to the engine bay pull the clutch release lever forwards i.e. in the direction opposite to its normal operation, as far as possible; the release lever should be free to move roughly 10mm.

3. If the release lever cannot be moved as previously described go and depress the clutch pedal fully several more times. If there is no improvement then check the cables self adjusting mechanism has not been rendered inoperative due to it being reconnected under tension.
    To do this disengage the cable outer from the release then have someone help by depressing the clutch fully to the floor. Push the cable outer towards the bulkhead until the self adjusting mechanism under the rubber gaitor can be compressed fully. Refit the cable outer into the release lever then depress the clutch fully at least five times and check that the release lever is now free to move as describec.

4. If the release lever cannot be moved even after reseting the self adjusting mechanism then the cable will need replacing to avoid any risk of clutch slip and premature wear of the clutch components

Hope that helps, if anythings unclear just let me know! :thumbup: