mk3 Golf 1.8t engine conversion

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by vee_dub_modder, Jan 25, 2010.

1. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

hi all -- is there a guide to a 1.8t engine conversion for the mk3 golf?? a clicky would be awesome if so as i cant find one???

cheers:thumbup:

2. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

Anyone????[:^(]

I'll be using a BAM code engine most likely (fly by wire) so i guess i'll need the pedal box from the same vehicle? i'll be running standard management as i can get the immob by passed by a friend.

1) I need to know what gearbox to use...
    2) What engine mounts to use (prob vary on the box)
    3) what radiator (was thinking an E46 m3 rad with built in resivior would work with some modding)
    4) what flywheel, clutch, starter alternator p.a.s pump etc etc etc... if anyone has done this (and i'm sure they have) i'd love a break down of the part list and a guide if you've done one... and esp a wiring diagram for the looms :lol:

Cheers all

3. m1keh Forum Member

What golf have you got already? That will make a difference on what box you end up using.

4. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

reading up on htis franticlly... i believe i need a Mk3 16v gearbox inc leaver etc etc (chich means mount aswell i'm guessing). i would assume the same or a G60 clutch??? as for fly i dont know.

The m3 rad would work but is a bit expensive and req's some slam pannel modding (avoid if i can)

Drive shafts, hubs etc etc all still unknown??

5. badger5

badger5 Club GTI Sponsor and Supporter Trader

mk3 16v box, shafts etc all fine. 02A box, or an 02J like out of ibiza cupras
    mk3 mounts work.
    you will need the rear mount brkt off your mk3

6. steved Forum Member

Change the throttle body for a cable throttle to save the hastle

1, 02J box just change the driveshaft cups for 100mm items
    2, The engine will bolt in on standard mounts although you might want to uprate to Vibratech
    3, Standard GTi MK3 rad will be fine
    4, Fly Wheel will be ok and a VR6 clutch should me more than enough for road and track use

7. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

Thanks Bill, your a star!!! i'll look into the polo thread laters! was awesome last time i saw it! :thumbup:

Lads at revo recon the fly by wire approach is better (alot of big words went here about some sort of request values but i cant remember what exactly) plus they will sort out any immob issues too :clap: though having said that the lump will cost more??

The car's only a 1.4 at the min (a bit of a let down after the Cupra) which is why i'm keen to rip it out asap! so on that note i'll need to swap out the hubs etc too.... basically if i skip the fly by wire bit i need the AGU lump (if thats the best one??) with mk3 16v runing gear mounts rad etc. do i use the old p.a.s pump or do i use the 1.8t item?? think the wiring should be reasonably straight forward -- anyone got a diagram???

Going to write a shopping list now... oh and lastly what accel cable do i need if i go that route?? and i assume the 1.8 fly/starter will be okay??

Cheers again both!!! :thumbup:

8. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

oh and will a modded down pipe be needed and if so who does one??

9. 20v_jimmy Forum Member

Agree with what steve and bill have said here.

1. you can use either an O2A or an O2J box. O2A could be found in a mk3 16v or a passat for example. You will also need the flywheel best options here are mk3 16v or a g60 one. It is common for people to choose a diesel gearbox here as it gives slightly longer gears and better cruising rpms.

2. Engine mount wise you will need the standard bracket attached to the 02A gearbox at the rear. The front mount bracket from the same mk3 16v. And also the rear offside mount bracket from the same.

3. As steve says the standard mk3 rads will work fine, im unsure if the 1.4 has a teeny tiny rad but i expect so, would probably be a good idea to upgrade to a vr6 one for example.

4. Flywheel i mentioned above, clutch you will want a VR6 one. Starter matches the gearbox so one from an 02A box (can use a diesel one for a bit more uumph). Alternator you use the 1.8T one. PAS pump i believe on a mk3 you can use the original mk4 pump although someone may correct me here (im doing the swap into a mk2 so the power steering lines dont fit in my case but i believe with the mk3 using a banjo they should work fine.)

You do not have to swap out hubs etc for gti items you can continue to stay 4 stud if you wish by using non gti parts from a 1.8 or a diesel (driveshafts and hubs/brakes). Although as you say it is probably easier to just swap in an entire mk3 subframe with wishbones, driveshafts, hubs, the lot.

As for guides i dont think there are any specifically, there is at least one build thread for a mk3 that i can think of, that will probably give you some ideas.

For wiring diagrams etc have a look at my thread further down in this forum about OEM ECU wiring. Although this is for a mk2 it still applies as both mk2 and mk3 use a CE2 fusebox. I have been meaning to update that thread as i have decided to go a different way with some of the wiring which should make it easier to fit into any car requiring just a live, an earth, and a switched live :thumbup: .

Cheers, James

10. 20v_jimmy Forum Member

11. vee_dub_modder Forum Member

Think i'll go for the O2A 16v box shafts etc etc. seems to make sense to along with the 16v fly.

Mounts i'll go O2A/16v Gti all round

thought with the Gti/VR6 rad is the top hose not on the correct side for the 1.8t?? i might be wrong??? the E46 M3 rad deletes the expansion tank which i though was a bonus but a pain to fit?

Are the sub frames not the same on the 1.4/Gti then?? i'd guessed the wishbones were different but didnt realise that... i dont think i can upgrade the brakes on 1.4 hubs... i'l be swapping out to to Gti ones as i think the carriers are removable. i'm not sure if the carrier stud pattern is the same as the mk4... if it is i have an R32 334mm brake set up here but i'm more likely to fit some boxster brembo's.

"different way with some of the wiring which should make it easier to fit into any car requiring just a live, an earth, and a switched live" -- i think i had the same idea! lol.

Liking the starter idea too!

I'll check out and subscribe to your thread... its going to be usefull me thinks!!! might make a thread on this once its done too!