Mk3 golf 3.5 stalks on mk2 ???

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by bantan45, Nov 28, 2021.

1. bantan45 Forum Member

Hi guys I’ve just done a 20vt swap on a ce1 mk2 golf and I have used the full mk3.5 golf loom with the intention to swap a few wires for things that are different.

Main issue is the 3.5 stalks DO NOT bolt to the mk2 colum any suggestions guys
    as I have all I need and don’t want to spend more than I already have on this build

2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I think you will have to put the MK2 ones back on and adjust the wiring to suit. Sorry to state the obvious.

3. bantan45 Forum Member

Not a
    not a problem I was just thinking with it been a 3.5 stalk it was different to the mk3 but cheers for that fella, I wonder if polo 6n will work

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

they would fit if the car was CE2, but as its CE1 the ignition housing has bolt holes in different place. you can get the stalks on if you swap to CE2 ignition lock housing, but for that you also need CE2 mk2 steering column tube or chop the tab off the ce1 tube. then either cut the mk2 CE2 ignition surround plastics till the MK3 hazard switch fits thru or mod a mk2 button to the mk3 stalks.

or once the ce2 ignition lock housing is fitted also fit mk2 ce2 stalks, the mk3 wiring will plug into them

as you have found, its not really any easier to convert a car to ce2 than just splice the loom you have to the existing ce1 fusebox especially for mk4 type looms. loads more work to be done

5. bantan45 Forum Member

true legend. ive late mk2 column now so just a case of getting my mk3 light switch loom to work with the mk2 ce1 switch,
    whats your advise on mk3.5 ce2 light switch and hazard loom to the mk2 ce1 switches ???

6. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

if you have a late column and mk3 stalks the hazard switch is no longer required, you could wire it in if you really wanted, ce2 mk2 with tilt columns are like this.

for headlight switch you can de-pin and use some of the terminals direct in a mk2 switch, same goes for dash switches. but tbh, just get ce2 mk2 headlight and dash switch loom and swap it saves a lot of faffing about. main dash loom from the mk3 can be stripped back and tweaked or get full mk2 dash loom and use parts off the mk3 loom to repair it if need be (almost always have trashed radio wiring)

7. bantan45 Forum Member

top man cheers and exactly that the loom was trash but yh ill try it your way pal nice one