mk3 golf gti 8v, vr6 conversion

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Jay Mk3, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Jay Mk3 New Member

Hi
    Im am going to swap my 2.0l gti engine for a vr6 engine, gearbox, drive train and ecu.
    Is there anyhing else involved or is that all i have to do to convert.

Any pearls of wisdom or advise would be very much apreciated
    Thanks
    J

2. funkbaron Forum Junkie

The suspension and pedal box/hydrualic clutch setup would then be on the cards, along with larger brakes, etc, etc,etc,etc,etc....be easier, and cheaper to sell yours and buy a VR6 mk3!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  3. stevef Forum Member

Hi there

I am sure that converting a car to the spec of another that exists in the range is a mistake.

You will pay more in insurance than if you had a car that was originally of that spec and will not recover the money spent on converting if you ever sell.

If you want a Mk3 VR6 my advice is sell your Mk3 GTI 8v and buy a VR6 model.

It might not seem like the best option now but I am sure, in the long run, it will prove to be the best way forward.

Only my opinion of course!

Cheers

Steve

4. nealey Forum Junkie

i agree with what your saying there. dont build a car that you can already buy!

5. Golf Mk iii New Member

agreed but the problem come wen u have put alot of effort into the car but want that bit more umph that u cnt get form jus loading on an exhaust system or drilling the sirbox... having said this i contemplated doing and engine conversion such as this and decided against it for the reasons stated in the above posts... but up 2 u!

6. davecr32 Forum Member

Hi jay

I've recently completed this conversion on my girlfriends car. It's not too bad a job but does need a lot of parts.

you need a vr6 front slam panel with twin fans and rad
    all water pipes
    the coolant expansion tank which is slightly larger
    take across all engine mounts, you can fit a vr6 front engine mount into your existing front subframe

your pedal box will be fine, just unbolt the clutch blanking panel and fit a complete hydraulic clutch assembly ie clutch master cylinder, clutch slave cylinder and all pipwork from the brake reservoir

you will need the complete engine loom, including the ecu, its a great benefit to have the key, the key code reader located under the vr6 dash and the correct ecu as these contain an immobiliser which stops the engine starting

you will also need a complete set of vr6 clocks as the rev counter will read out on the gti

the brakes should be fine for now but could be upgraded later

driveshafts are fine too

insurance wise, my girlfriend got her insurance cheaper with the vr6 engine fitted, golf+ are well worth checking out

whilst the engine is out its easy to fit airconditioning, I did this on her car. it's also easier to fit a 6 branch exhaust ;)

I don't think I have forgot anything but post up on here and someone is bound to know the answer.

If your car is in good shape to start with, it's well worth the effort. for a bit of stealth I would keep the GTi badge on it too :lol:

Good Luck!

7. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

you can buy a vr6...from 1k pounds or even cheaper
    do you fancy a 2.8 auto with broken gearbox?? going cheap