Mk3 Golf Rear Window Question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Bobby_T_16v, Jan 22, 2007.

1. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Is it true some rear windows are "Encapsulated" (that was the phrased mentioned to me) and the only way to take it out is to smash the window and replace the whole window as the seal is part of the window ????

And if this is true how will I be able to tell if mine is like that ?

2. DarrenE Forum Member

The term most people use is a "bonded" in screen. You don't have to smash the window to take it out, as far as I know, it can be cut out and re-bonded if required.

3. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

What the guy said was there is two varients one that can be and another that cant. I am wanting to get it taken out to deal with some rust but im getting slightly worried it cant be done properly, more so since i have the windows tinted recently and dont want to have to get it re tinted or worse replaced.

4. DarrenE Forum Member

I have never come across a mk3 without a bonded rear screen [:s] Mk3's are prone to a bit of rust on the bottom edge of the screens.

5. Bobby_T_16v Forum Member

Maybe I should get some more advise [:s]

6. oak8vgti Forum Member

think the guy is trying to cover his **** somehow

telling you some break when taking them out and then telling you yours broke while trying to remove and him then not paying as he told you it might break on removal

7. bobbin82 New Member

I know this is an old Topic but thought i would piggyback instead of creating a new post about an old subject

This weekend im going to attempt to reseat my rear screen in my mk3 as the corner has started to come away and ity creates damp inside the car when it rains
    What i would like to know is, is there any "how to" giudes to doing this?
    Im going to use tiger seal to put it back in... is this ok?
    And also at the minute it seems as it isnt bonded in but instead a sort of rubber gasket between the window and the metal.. is this normal?

Any help would be much appreciated as i dont fancy buying a new rear screen :)

Thanks, Andy