Mk3 Golf / Vento White Remove brake pedal from servo the proper way. Brake pedal plastic clip tips

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by mrgr_18, Sep 29, 2020.

1. mrgr_18 Forum Member

Hi guys during my build I have managed to snap the plastic clip that holds the pedal to the servo. My mate got the old one out after a lot of swearing and we struggling like hell to get the new one in.

Any tips on installation without removing the pedal box? Holding the spring out the way is a pig on its own let alone getting the clip in. Is this doable with the pedal box in or do I need to commit to taking the column out and removing the pedal box?

Cheers

2. mrgr_18 Forum Member

More info on my build thread. And sorry for starting a new thread but if i figure the best way of doing this i hope the next person who searches for it can find the answer easier than me.

after some googling it looks like Haynes and Bentley recommend moving the individual pedals over the whole pedal box. I'm wondering if this is the way to go. Going to sleep on it. Whichever way I go ill post my findings

3. mrgr_18 Forum Member

Incase anyone finds this

This has made my build come to a stop. Don't be like me!

If you need to remove the brake servo ball from the brake pedal either buy vw tool 3289 or make it. Do not snap the clip out thinking they are easy to replace.

After many hours of trying all sorts I'm having to remove the steering column to get the pedal box out to do it on the bench. Seriously it is the worst job I've ever had to do on a car.

4. mrgr_18 Forum Member

golf-mk3-530.png vw tool 3289
    Brake Pedal Clip release tool

I would have paid 30 quid gladly to not be where I am now or at least made the tool had I known

Simon Peter Dodgson likes this.
  5. mrgr_18 Forum Member

Also if you need to fit the clutch pedal centering spring in situ ignore everything online i tried everyone's suggestions and bentleys and was far too fiddly. Once I thought about it I popped the spring on the firewall side clip and rested it above the mounting point on the pedal. From there use a long flat head screwdriver or narrow pry bar and lever down off the pedal box spindle