Mk3 Main beam headlight fault

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by Stu, Jan 2, 2007.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi All,

This question is on behalf of my pal with a Mk3 Golf diesel. His main beam seems to be stuck on, whenever he switches the headlight switch on it's main beam regardless of the position of the dipping stalk or main switch (I think, haven't seen the car in person).

Do Mk3's have relayed headlights or does the feel just run through the dash switch like on a Mk1 & Mk2?

Is this likely to indicate a knackered headlight switch, problem with the stalk, or if there's a relay somewhere has that gone perhaps?

Any ideas much appreciated, I realised this is all a bit vague!

Cheers

Stu

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

No relays for the lights, same as a MK2. It sounds like the main beam switch has unclipped or snapped, probably needs a new stalk, but strip them down and see what you can see :)

3. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Thanks for the reply, I'll pass the info on. I'm pretty sure you can get the stalks from GSF so perhaps easiest to try replacing that and see if it sorts it. :)

4. GTi Gem New Member

Any luck?

Hey there,

Wondered if you had got any nearer to solving the problem as ive got a similar issue in reverse. no main beam whatsoever.

Gem.

5. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hmm... not sure really, it's my mates car but I'll ask him and find out whether he got it sorted in the end :)

6. GTi Gem New Member

Nice one, much appreciated. :thumbup:

7. Osmiff82 New Member

I have a similar issues on my mk3 where I have no main beam at all. So when I pull my light stalk to put my main beam on nothing happens not even the little blue light on the dash board comes on does anyone have any ideas please?..

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

1st thing make sure all the connectors to the back of the stalks are fully seated, could just be that simple. if no help then chase the stalk loom as best you can looking for damage.

on the flasher switch plug you have:
    red/yellow - permanent live for flash
    yellow - dipped beam
    white - main beam
    white/black - power from headlight switch for beam select

so if you loop a wire from red/yellow to white the main beams should come on, if they do you know wiring is all good and you probably have duff stalk, if not check the wiring. loop from red/yellow to yellow to check dipped beam. if these work fine loop from white/black to yellow and the dipped beam should be off until you switch on the headlight switch to verify headlight switch and wiring is ok