mk3 - steel used vs other vws of the era?

Discussion in 'Mk3' started by MJA, Aug 29, 2020.

1. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Hi,

I've got a real softspot for a mk3 Golf, preferably GTI. Not bothered about 8v or 16v, probably go 8v for choice and simplicity.

I've always been put off becuase of rust. I've read the rust sticky which didn't help! But what I'd like to know is whether it's all blown out of proportion? I've got a few VWs and thought surely the steel used and techniques to buid were not too different? Of my selection of VWs ('88 GTI, '94 Corrado 16v, '95 Corrado VR6, '02 Mk4) I'm sure the the mk3 must use similar techniques and materials to the Corrado?

I don't find the Corrado particularly rust prone, definitely not as well proected as the mk4 which I feel I could leave in the bottom of the sea and it would still resist it. I've just had my Corrado repainted and there was very little rust found on the strip down. The other corrado is lower mileage (86k vs 152k of the other) but sat out outside for most of its life and it just as a little rust on the battery tray and at the very bottom of the rear arch drain lips. That's pretty good in my eyes.

My mk2 is a "well used, unwashed most of its life and caked in mud undernearth" example and it has resisted rust well on the whole. It has a couple of holes and wants some welding now but otherwise solid but I don't think that's too bad given its circumstances. It's high miles too - estimate 185k but clocks stopped at 162k.

Maybe given my experience and thoughts on what's acceptable is okay for mk3 ownership? Perhaps a VR6 is a better choice as I can see from the mk2 that the plastic trims although look great don't help rust.

Cheers
    Matt

2. MJA

MJA Paid Member Paid Member

Now I have a mk3 - not that bad to be fair. I'd say the Corrado is worse. Here's my 96 red one. One thing that stands out on the mk3 is the seams on the doors, chassis rails, boot are all perfect. The Corrrado wasn't the same (95 model, garaged most of it's life).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The only rust on the floor is because of the rubber grommet drain holes not present on the Corrado.

Here's the white one. Seems to have some other coating on it that has been painted so doesn't look as clean as the red car:

[​IMG]

Fairly interesting I thought. The rear seating area metal work seems to be identical to the Golf mk3. The front jacking areas are completely different on the Corrado and nothing like the mk2 either.