Mk3 tank in mk2

Discussion in '1.8 & 1.8T' started by dodgy, Nov 10, 2020.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Spent a few minutes in the garage just now, got some mk4 fuel lines so had a look at bits.
    On the mk3 tank it has two fuel lines, black feed, blue return, that's the simple part, mk4 connector and rubber hoses to connect to filter/lines to engine bay.
    There is also a clear pipe which presume is for the evap system that I wont be using on the mk2,
    Is it ok to cut this near the top of filler neck where it fits the tank and block that pipe off by the white disc piece? Then no need for the 3rd line under the car and box in engine bay obviously.
    Thanks for your help, D.

Attached Files:

2. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I thought the clear one was just a vent to atmosphere.

Use the lines that are on the car? Saves faffing about.

3. dodgy

Thanks Sam, Sort of found a post saying fit a fuel filter on the pipe the white hose goes to, that's it, but no other info.
    As mine is a carb to start with, do you think the lines for feed & return are smaller than injection though?
    If can keep the pipes will make it a lot easier, just fit mk4 connectors in engine bay.

4. davidut5 Forum Member

If you can get the lines and filter and filter bracket from the mk3. I replaced the lines on my 1.6 carb as they are very small with mk3 parts. Also mk3s have a evap canister but i fitted a small fuel filter and left the hose around fuel pickup, fuel vapors escape from the small filter.
    Mk3 tank needs drilling another hole on the neck as mk2 have 2 bolts there.

5. dodgy

Finding mk3 locally is proving a little difficult at present, and lockdown means I'm not down to Somerset and my usual haunts. Mate has mk3 gti to strip but again that's a no go for now.
    Got set of mk4 lines, new mk4 filter so will make a mount for it, swap the lines over with mk3 tank.
    I'll check pipe diameters Friday when its light when get in from work.

So the filter just fitted in end of black rubber pipe on tank and vent out to atmosphere then?

6. davidut5 Forum Member

Yes, my old 1.6 tank had the hose down the filler neck under a cover but still to atmosphere. In the summer when tank is full stinks of petrol! Ha ha, if you light a match....

7. dodgy

Strewth!
    Wont mention my mate years ago at TSR when tim had it set light to a mk2 mini welding near petrol line.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

just run the ouput from that vacuum valve on the neck to the top of the mk2 rubber filler surround, same as all UK spec mk2. dont need any of the carbon canister garbage

dodgy likes this.