Mk3 tank into a mk2?

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by Tristan, May 11, 2021.

1. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

I had a search, but couldn't find what I wanted to confirm, even though I am sure RubJonny posted it...
    Anyway.
    I've been offered a mk3 tank, for my GTI.
    It's an injection tank, with a new fuel pump in it.
    Will any injection mk3 tank do, or is there a reason the vr6 one seems to be sought after?

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Just fitted mine at weekend, pretty sure the pumps were same, possible the early gti one is less powerful but really early.
    Think vr6 tax gets added on stuff.

3. davidut5 Forum Member

Spi injection had smaller pressure pumps i think vs mpi 3-4bar.

4. Tristan

Unless the vr came with a higher flow pump?

5. davidut5 Forum Member

Vr has both 3 and 4 bar pumps.

6. Finite

Finite Paid Member Paid Member

If they've fitted a new pump/swirlpot check the hose clamps I've seen many for sale with external type fuel hose clamps with zinc bolts in place of the original stainless Oetiker ear. Oetiker 167 (9.6-11.3mm) are close to OEM size.

I can't find all my mk3 tank into mk2 posts, but here are some.

Breather conversion on the filler neck. I think there was something else to further down Mk2 style with the other end of the plastic black hose.
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/mk3-fuel-tank-on-mk2.239455/

Wiring
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.ph...uel-tank-and-pump-wiring.272552/#post-2343142

Wiring (lever blocks are wago 222-413) + a picture of the retaining ring that needs to be removed for Mk4 pumps
    https://clubgti.com/forums/index.php?threads/which-fuel-tank-for-20v-mk2.263928/

dodgy and Tristan like this.
  7. Tristan

Cool, appreciate your posting the links.

8. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

any petrol engine mk3 will do for tank, lines, filter carrier and rear wiring loom. then get a gti, 16v or vr6 main pump to drop in. if you specifically need a 4 bar pump its pre-96 mk3 golf vr6 plus corrado vr6 and G60

take the breather pipe off, route the output from the valve in the filler neck to the top connection on the mk2 rubber filler surround

edit: never mind all covered by the above links :lol:

if its CE2 fusebox drag the complete mk3 loom out and strip the 4 pump wires out. drop into the mk2 and plug in. if you must splice then make sure you go before the white 2 pin plug as shown in link above as lifter pump power wires are thin gauge.

if its ce1 then tap the mk3 brown/blue to the ce1 lifter brown purple/black to purple/black and main pump power to the white 2 pin as above.

If you're feeling posh you can get the ce1 E/14 pump power fusebox pin still for a nice OEM job, depending on what engine loom you have put a male spade inline with it for engine wiring. You could try to have the male spade coming out the fusebox pin direct but it'll probably be a squeeze in the terminal and they are a fiddle to crimp nice even at the best of times. Earth crimp a female spade and pop to the white 4 way earth block hanging around above the fusebox.

VW do crimp the male spade inline rather than direct to the e/14 as standard on later digifant cars :)

Last edited: May 12, 2021
  9. Tristan

It's a ce2 Digi car, RJ, that I'd be putting it into.

I'm pretty sure you posted almost the exact same thing above, elsewhere, just I couldn't find it!

Thanks for the clarification. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: