MK3 top mount part numbers/pics for MK2

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by somafunk, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

Thought so, cool will do and report back.
    Stupid, question, bump stops under dust cover or on top of it under the spring plate

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the oem mk2 front bump stop clips to the cover, theres a lip around the bottom. the mk3 version slips over the top of the bump stop. for the rear the bump stop clips to the cover same as the mk2 fronts

[​IMG]

3. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

Cool Ok? I only ask because they came with these blue covers and I am not sure if they stay or removed (just for transporting) and I need other dust covers
    [​IMG]

4. rubjonny

have a look under the covers, see if the bump stops are there :)

you'll still need rear covers and stops though

5. Jonsie Paid Member Paid Member

Looked under covers, which got me wondering about the stops. Stupidly I thought they would have them seeing as this "set-up is perfect fit and forget for the mk2 etc platform" but then I guess it is a little bit personal preference. There is some talk on line about them being internal but I wasn't so sure about that.
    So now I know. I will get the mk3 stops and use them with these covers. Fit them between these covers and the spring plate. Trial fitting the plates, mounts, bolts together etc, seems I need Spring compressors to get them all together as there isn't enough thread when all together to get the bolt screwing down without potential damage.
    Yeah, I have those on order. I ordered a complete replacement bush set, bolt washers if I was doing this standard sort of thing to make sure I have all the new and complete bits for the rears. I will also be polybush img the rear beam and fitting Eibach ARB at the same time, front and rear.
    I found that for this platform a fan the mk4, the ARB upgrade was one of the best this you could do for the handling. But then that is just my opinion
    Thanks for the help

6. rubjonny

im not sure if they would be internal or not on these ones, so see if someone else can confirm (maybe start a new thread so everyone can see it)

7. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

After incorrectly buying the small spring plates I recently ordered the larger ones from VW Heritage. Today whilst changing the CV boot I thought I'd swap the top mounts..
    If I conpare the holes in the spring top plates the MK3 ones are a similar diameter of the damper rod, is that correct? The MK2 ones are smaller and sit on the shoulder at the bottom of the threaded rod. Looking at the pics posted above also indicates the hole is bigger on the MK3 ones?
    I've stuck with the MK2 mounts for the mo!

8. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Here's a pic of the top mount from VW Heritage

Attached Files:

9. rubjonny

I noticed the same thing, but once everything is tightened together the upper plate cant go anywhere as its held in place between the spring and the bearing once the special nut is tightened down.

certainly there have been no issues on my mk2 in around 8 years :)

10. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

Belated thanks John. I'll try it out on my spare front strut.
    By the looks of it the ride height won't change from it being slightly "nose-up" is that correct?

11. rubjonny

When I fitted mine it sat slightly higher up front than before, but after a while it seemed to drop nicely. either down to comparing to worn original mounts, settling in, or both :)

12. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

Is there an updated bearing out there? Mine's done 500 miles and seems shredded up - or that's how it feels (steering wheel has stopped self centring after a left turn)

I have the bilstein b4 and eibach setup with mk3 top mount and bearing but is there a stronger bearing available? Maybe I overtightened them [:[]

13. rubjonny

lemforder is plenty good enough for most uses, mine lasted several years no problem with similar setup (boge/sachs shocks and eibach springs)

you cant really over-tighten them the nut bottoms out on the bearing then you're done. if you really crank it down all you'll do is thread the shocks or nut

14. DN5

DN5 Paid Member Paid Member

Ok that's interesting. Wonder what might be causing my steering issues then...
    I think I'll still pull the shockers down and inspect things but then might be pointing towards the rack [:x] all geometry is spot on

15. Bl4ckGryph0n New Member

Just want to say a thank you to the original post. I’m replacing the suspension with my daughter, going for BC Racing BR and ordered the MK3 parts from Lemforder. It was very useful to get this list.

16. Bl4ckGryph0n New Member

I’ve done the suspension but something doesn’t look right to me

2E8DC0BC-2322-445F-BB39-14FB6B7FBF44.jpeg

Thinking about it and reading through the thread again. I may not have put on the threaded bush nut Would that cause this?

17. Bl4ckGryph0n New Member

Hmmm I must be doing something wrong. Just added the threaded bush nuts and it still goes like this the moment I lower the car.

D262FAD8-AA08-44CB-B8F0-6D2893EDA618.jpeg

18. rubjonny

a small gap is fine :)

Bl4ckGryph0n likes this.
  19. Bl4ckGryph0n New Member

Cool thanks

I’ve just refitted it all, left the top loose this time until it was on its wheels. And also got myself a MacPherson strut toolkit instead of using the impact to hammer it down

All good, pretty awesome actually. Just taken it for a test drive and it is lovely and controlled. I’ve raised the suspension a little for my daughter so she doesn’t have to worry too much about the speed bumps and potholes in the road. But undoubtedly she will bring it down once she passes her test and has some experience.

398E471E-D873-4191-8FE2-8352E53FA4D4.jpeg

Booking the car in for a tracking and alignment now.

oldnick and Tristan like this.
  20. oldnick

oldnick Paid Member Paid Member

Possibly the smartest car with an L plate I've ever seen!
    She does realise that all future cars will be a disappointment?

Bl4ckGryph0n likes this.