MK4 BFH R32 upper slide rail

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by G60Dub, Feb 6, 2015.

1. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

Anyone have any idea why the upper slide rail (guide between the inlet and exhaust camshafts) is a different part number from BFH engine number 003181 onwards?

Up to to engine number 003180 the upper guide is 066 109 514 and from 003181 the part number is A suffixed

I can't see any other physical differences but before I start trawling though ETKA again I wonder if its related to the CP revision ECU; I'm thinking and this is pure conjecture, that they may have improved the design of the guide with made for a subtle path length change in the chains between the VVT adjusters and accounted for this by incorporating associated exhaust cam timing changes into the CP revision ECU?

I've had 268/264 Schricks sitting since the start of December and now that it's coming into some better weather I'm looking to get them fitted.

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Not sure about the timing slide rail differences, but if you look at the complete timing case assembly part number (which includes the slide rail) its the same for all age BFH engines so I'd be pretty sure its nothing to do with the ecu or sensor revisions?

if you look in the data history there's a load of different numbers for the timing case, all superceeded by the current revision. So I would just say that there have been various versions of this part with slightly different rails but functionally they're all compatible. Its just if you want the rail alone there's 2 choices to suit the different case revisions

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
  3. G60Dub

G60Dub Forum Member

5 year bump... LOL This is still annoying me.