MK4 Golf Climatronic install into MK2 Golf

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by rubjonny, Aug 7, 2013.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

T17a pin 3 is one of the wires from ECU to climate panel but depending on the donor car the loom came from it may not be used, as does type of a/c pressure switch. if you have a passat loom t17a/3 is unused, there is no fan control module instead theres a set of relays for compressor and fans and the a/c pressure switch is a 4 pin wired to T16b pin 2 and one of the fan relays

2. Martasek New Member

Well my car donor was a vw bora 1.9tdi unfortunately i don’t know the year od the model but it had 4pin pressure switch but the wiring in the car was burned i think so i don’t know what wire is what, i think of getting another wiring loom from mk4/bora and cut anything that i don’t need, i just need to plug that pressure switch and A/C compressor and i think that’s done and hopefully without any error codes :lol:
    And it had no relays in the cab that i know of.. everything was just plugged into fuse box

3. rubjonny

ok so the early mk4 has 4 pin pressure switch, this is wired to the climate panel and fcm and also has an extra thermal switch. the pinout is a little different on these it has a 10 pin FCM and 10 and 12 pin plug connecting climate loom to main bay section rather than 17 and 12

4. Martasek New Member

Do you know what those 4 wires look like? Colorwise and where to plug it? And i belive o got T12 and T17 i need to check that one when i get home but there is 99% chance i got 12 and 17pin connector

5. rubjonny

if your car loom has 12 and 17 pins then what you may have is early pressure switch/pipes and late wiring loom. if so, the pressure switch on the loom is a 3 pin plug, black/blue, brown/white and white

6. TomasV New Member

Hello, I wanna to complete instructions for Climatronic install to Corrado, can you help me with some stuff?

Connector T12a

THIS IS SENSOR FROM BUMPER?
    5 - brn/yel - outside air temp sensor, mines in the rain tray at the moment but will relocate and mount it next to existing external air temp when engine loom comes out next
    12 - red/blu - outside temp signal to dash clocks pin T32a/26 (feeds the temperature display on the clocks) - bin, existing sensor remains

I DONT KNOW WHERE EXACTLY GO THIS PIN? IS LIKE FROM T17a - PIN 4 - G1/11 ?
    10 - blu/wht - vehicle speed signal - added a connector on and plugged it into the connector block above the fusebox with the rest of the VSS

Connector T17a

DONT UNDERSTAND THIS PIN
    7 - red/gry - permanent live feed - now I think this is aircon related so plan on leaving it disconnected

And what about sensor 1H307543A? It must be connected? and where?

Many thanks :)

7. rubjonny

T12a/10 is vehicle speed signal, this allows the climate unit to make adjustments depending how fast you're driving. You run this to W/1 (theres a jumper block for this wire on mk3/corrado) which is the speed output from the cluster.

T17a/4 is engine speed, so your rev counter/tachometer signal. its a low amp signal so same as what MK3 golf and later Corrado uses. MK1/2 golf is different, but if you have electronic ignition you can get this from the TCI/spark module pin 7 or depending on what engine is fitted from the ECU.

T17a/7 is a permanent live feed, you may find the climate system doesnt work correctly without it, but see how you go. It may forget any settings you program into the unit every time you switch ignition off for example.

Can you double check that part number its not a valid VW part number. Is it the plain metal ambient temp sensor from a mk3?

8. TomasV New Member

Many thanks for reply.

and T12a/ 5 and 12 is the same sensor from bumper?

T12a/10 okay W1, I understand.
    T17a/ 4 i have prefacelift model 1992 VR6, so i dont have electronic ignition, i have distributor.

T17a/ 7 - so from radio its ok?

correct part number ist 1h0907543a.

Thanks !

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  9. rubjonny

T12a/5 is the outside temp sensor feed to the climate panel, T12a/12 is the temp sensor output from the climate panel to the MK4 clocks for outside temperature. This is so 1 temp sensor can feed both the clocks and the climate panel, in a conversion you dont need pin 12 unless you're also running mk4 clocks :)

With a VR6 you use the rev counter signal from the ECU, if the car is a factory mk3/corrado then its very simple. You can run T17a/4 wire to D plug pin 6 as its common to the ecu signal to the clocks :)

yeah you can tap the permanent live to the radio live or ciggarette lighter, Y spade etc wherever is convenient

1h0907543a is one of the climatronic temp sensors, looking at google images its the one which goes into the footwell/dash vents. ideally fit it and pluig in as the more sensors which are connected the better the self-regulation will be.

10. TomasV New Member

okay so T12a/12 i dont use

D plug pin 6?

okay i understand.

and where can i plug this sensor?

11. rubjonny

12. rubjonny

if the sensor is from the mk4 thewn it'll have fallen out of the climatronic box somewhere, see if you can spot any holes

13. TomasV New Member

Okay I understand, its ok when is the D6 free?

14. rubjonny

yes D/6 will be empty as its not used for mk2/3/corrado

15. Ozgti New Member

Is there any difference if I wanted to use the mk4 heater and evaporator units in the mk2? I'm ce1 with an aqn, but no ac. I have all the mk4 stuff besides the underdash units.

Will this work?

Thanks in advance.

16. Martasek New Member

I think that it will work althrough you woule need to take everything including sensors and servo motors for individual flap and i think that’s far more effort than putting in mk4 heater just some bolt extending and moving thier position (if you got plastic welder that’s best as in my case) and adding one bracket on top of fan everything shoult take around 5hours when you doing it the first time and a lot of taking heater in and out and measuring everything.

17. Ozgti New Member

Does the mk4 ac section connect to the mk2 heater/flap section?

18. rubjonny

the mk2/3/4 fan housing -> flap box connection is the same, as per this guide where I have fitted mk2 golf fan housing to mk4 flap box ;)

the mk4 manual ac fan housing will work with mk2/3 aircon just have to rewire the recirc stuff to trigger the mk4 flap motor rather than the solenoid valve which triggers the mk2/3 vacuum pump. climatronic fan assembly would go but the recirculation wont work as its a stepper motor controlled by the climate ecu.

the mk4 golf heater matrix is the same fit as mk2/3, early mk4 its the same part number late mk4 its still the same fit but has those quick release couplers. nick a couple off a donor and fit them to the mk2/3 pipes then you're done.

factory mk2 ac flap box is all vacuum controlled, you need the matching mk2 ac heater slider unit plus pipes, wiring etc. easier to keep the mk2 flap box then find the aftermarket mk2 dash switches. or if you feel fancy hook up a couple lever switches to get triggered when you slide the heat lever to cold and the desired locations on the direction lever for recirculation. use the mk4 golf fan control unit to take care of the AC compressor and jobs a goodun

19. AndyBa Paid Member Paid Member

I've started doing my MK3 aircon install however there are 2 problems.
    The MK3 flap unit works in the reverse of the MK2 so I'm sticking with the MK2 flap unit and sliders.
    I've drilled though the bulkhead and it looks like the MK3 bulkhead is a different shape to my 91 MK2 Golf. Where the evaporator pipes exit the bulkhead I have a circa 1" indent stopping the MK3 HVAC going fully home. The fresh air inlet doesn't line-up by about 35mm.
    Today I've made-up a recess to be welded in the bulkhead since I can't see any alternative. Anyone else had such a problem?

20. rubjonny

got any pictures to hand showing the issue? I expect I'll have the same trouble with my MK4 housing if I ever get round to fitting it :lol: