Mk4 Polo 1.4 16v (AFH) into Mk1 Golf 1.3

Discussion in 'Engines' started by mk1 driver, Nov 12, 2003.

1. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Good morning people [:^:]

IIRC this engine will fit into a small block Mk1, as the mounts are the same?

Now firstly, in injection form I know I'll have to get a GTI tank, pumps new fuel lines etc. (anyone know exactly what I would need to obtain [:-B]?)

Next hurdle would seem to be the electrical side of things with it being an older car. What would need to happen with regards to the fuse box and in general the entire loom seeing as it wouldn't be a plug'n'play affair?

Also, is there a better 'box to use? What driveshafts to use? Any problems with the steering rack and manifold (as per KR installation needing 'rocco manifold) or will it be ok?

In carb form, an easier option due to it being carb'd. Is there anyone that has converted the AFH to run carb's? Any difficulties? Any 'how to's' on converting it to run carbs?

Think that's all for now [:s]
    Cheers :)

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

why bother puttting the 1.4 16v polo engine in, put the 1.6 16v in instead.

or better still a 1.8t?

3. Polo Classic Forum Member

Beacause the 1,4L 16v is a better engine to tune than the 1,6L maybe?

My mate is running twin DCOE carbs on his AFH head, works a treat. Manifold is available from KWL in Germany, and also Sorg (AAT) I think. with 4 branch you sould be able to see 130-140 bhp.

Fitting the ECU from the AFH is quite complex. You need the clocks, wiring loom, transponder and so on

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

the 1.4 16v is better to tune than the 1.6 16v (out of mkV polo gti), thats surprising!

5. Polo Classic Forum Member

You can't get any decent cams for the GTI engine.

Some examples of AFH tuning, on the standard engine

Throttle bodies, 4 branch and fully mappable ECU, 140 bhp

Std engine with cams and chip, 122 bhp

std engine with chip and 4 branch, 115 bhp

Cams, 4 branch and chip should get you to 140 bhp easily

6. prof Forum Addict

costly a 2.0 16v would be 170bhp and way way cheaper

you can get any profile ground on your cams by newman cams 250 ish a set

7. Polo Classic Forum Member

The wildest cams I have seen for the GTI engine is 232 degrees. I think this is down to that it is difficult to get cams to work with the variable cam timing on the GTI.

Dare to be different [:*:]

8. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Handbags :o

Has anyone put a Mk4/Mk5 Polo engine into a Mk1 yet? not that I want to set a trend or anything [|)] .

Would the 1.6 16v require the movement of the drivers side engine mount? (I know a simple~ish job in itself, just another obsticle)

The temptation! Don't really want to go for the 2.0 16v route just yet, I know how easy it is to do but I'm not after a powerhouse just yet :p. (Also the smaller capacity unit would aid insurance just slightly [:$] still classed as being modified mind)

Just like any modern -> old engine conversion then. Can you bypass the immobilsers on AFH's if you didn't get the keys say? (shame about 1.8T's being a b1tch in that department :( )

Already on the cards for a later date ;) .

Would it be best keeping it in injection state or changing to carbs (the noise ;) baahhh to fuel consumption [:*:] )

Not after any huge bhp figures (not every conversion has to produces huge amounts of power over standard :p ) something different to 60bhp wouldnt go a miss.

Failing all that, I'll just go and get the 1.3 8v upto around 80bhp [:|] :p

9. trendy tramp Forum Member

why is everyone obsessed with power [xx(] - hell, why not just lob a V8 in the thing, loadsa power

has nobody spared a thought for the weight and specifically the weight balance of a car. a lighter engine is going to reduce the car's natural tendency to understeer. you'll be able to chuck it around more easily, it'll be harder to get yourself into trouble when caning it, will lhave less weight to accelerate and brake, there'll be less load transfer during tip-in and tip-out etc etc. the smaller engines have lower reciprocating mass and tend to like to rev

it seems as if anytime anybody asks a question such as "i want more power from my Driver, will a filetr help?" the answer is always something akin to "don't bother, not worth it, just stick a 1.8T in"

not directing this at anyone in particular, but can someone just dare to be different?

tt

10. Polo Classic Forum Member

You can probably by-pass it, but I do not know how. All the conversions in Polo's I have seen uses everything from the 6N. You could always use a fully mappable ECU though.

As for squeezing 80 bhp out of the 1,3L, a twin Weber kit and a cam should get you there

Polo16v.de

11. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Thank you TT, my thoughts exactly :)

Would a Mk4 Polo dash fit into a Mk1 Polo Classic? or even, if possible, could you fit Mk5 Polo dash using the 6N loom?

As for the standard Driver engine, 80bhp sounds good :)

12. Polo Classic Forum Member

Mario Hirt used the 6N 16v clocks with very small mods in the standard mk I Polo dash, and the Golf GTI clocks fits in the Polo, so I would think so.

Mario Hirt 16v

Not too good on Golfs. Polo's is my thing, real Polo's, meaning 86c's [:D]

On a not to TT about weight and weight balance, I picked up a run around on friday. A Mk II Polo Saloon. It weights 750 kg's [:D]

My dream is to fit a AFH with Rothe manifold and K04, crank from a 1,6L 8v Polo and G40/60 ECU. Should be able to hit 225 with less than 1 bar boost

13. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

[:D]

What sort of figures is that AFH making with the turbo on Polo16v.de or is it still in the making?
    Sounds interesting if a little [8(]

14. prof Forum Addict

do those 1.6s hav an alloy block too?

TT point taken, but talk of throttle bodies etc on a 1.6 to make 140bhp, just seemed a lot of money when a 2.0-170bhp could be had for 500 however 1.6 balance would be way better.

shame you have that 3 tonne gearbox in your racer Rob eh! ;) [runs away]

15. trendy tramp Forum Member

no need to run mate - it's not on there anymore :p

took it off at the weekend because i got anther 1.8T lump with a 5 speeder - much lighter, and precisely my point here. i got the 6 speed cheap at the time and will still use it for something else. going straight-cut with the 5 speed ;)

tt

16. Polo Classic Forum Member

The power on the turbo on polo16v has not been meassured yet, but Rothe was making a claimed 185 bhp in their Lupo GTI. I think they ran it at 0,6 bar boost. With their 222 bhp version, they are running 1,1 bar boost and 318 nm torque

17. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Nice. Think I've got some vids of those Rothe cars [:^:]

18. prof Forum Addict

Rob still using my boat anchor, on the 1.8t, battery in the boot should help a bit

the lighter the car overall the more a heavy box/engine in the front will mess up the handling

19. trendy tramp Forum Member

hence my seats in the back of the car ;) (well almost)

can't believe the small size of the 5 speed with the 6 speed. it's grand [:D]

20. prof Forum Addict

but weak as bill just found out...........so whats the plan with the tdi one land speed record attempt, [sshhh]if your knockin out to a punter think revokev wanted one[/shhh]