Mk4 rear stub axle conversion

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by dodgy, Jan 11, 2022.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

OK, started this so not to cram @PhilRyder post (sorry mate) and as it was asked by @boroko .

As an upgrade on mk2/3 rear nearing it's quite common to use polo rear stub axle assembly, be it 6n/2 with in built caliper mount, or the 9n type and separate mounting plate either aftermarket, lupo gti or homebrew.
    The 6n/2 and 9n hub and bearing are similar, differing in 4 or 5 stud.

When I did my mk2 caddy conversion I used polo rear set up and welded and redrilled the bolt holes in the axle to fit the polo bolt pattern.
    Later I discovered the mk4 golf stub axle is same bolt pattern as the caddy, in fact same part.
    The caddy hub will fit the mk4 stub obviously so can convert to 4 stud.

I don't think you can just use an earlier brake drum assembly with a later cartridge hub as looking the drum is a different diameter so you would need a complete 6n backplate and drum, or the golf presumably, this I haven't looked into really apart from quick discussion with Phil, as have changed to discs on everything I have done this on.

Hope that helps, it's good if do a 5 stud conversion on the mk2 caddy as can use mk4 golf rear stub axles and skoda Octavia drums to keep original rear brakes too.

Below are mk4 golf, then 2 caddy/inca pics cross reference for hub assembly.

Cheers Dave

Attached Files:

PhilRyder likes this.
  2. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks Dave, you're off the hook :lol:, I blame @boroko :p;)

boroko and dodgy like this.
  3. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Interesting, the backplate is a 1J0 mk4 golf part number, but only listed for caddy/inca so seems VW did at one point consider having rear drums for the mk4 platform but it never made it to production

dodgy likes this.
  4. dodgy

@rubjonny from what I remember on the caddyforum (gone now unfortunately) it was mentioned the lower spec Octavia had rear drums, and so swapped onto the caddy, so perhaps it was planned on the foreign markets for the golf, the polo 9n3 gti even had rear drums looking at some posts on South African sites.

Also, there are 2 types of caddy/inca rear stub axle, one is the mk4 golf type and the very early one is a 6 bolt, but only first year or less, again from memory and 6+ years ago.
    The 9n polo uses same stub and hub for disc and drum, as do lupo, and 6n2, obviously vehicle group type dependant as far as I'm aware.

5. rubjonny

yeah the earlier ones have mk1/2/3 style taper bearings. found the octavia drums they also have mk4 golf part numbers on them and match up to 2010-15 polo. the octavia backplates are 1j0 part numbers too but not the same as caddy :lol:

not sure what the difference is polo to octavia drums, they're the same diameter with same stubs but the octavia hubs differ so I guess the offset is different

dodgy likes this.
  6. dodgy

Suppose it may be the bolt pattern still, for backplate mount behind the stub axle? Drum itself may be the same, just what it fits on differs . Thought the later polo still used the 9n style beam on its rear, the ibiza I've had parts off of that age are near identical.
    Doesn't the Octavia use mk4 stub axles, I haven't looked into that to be honest, just presumed it would be with the larger bearing hub.

7. rubjonny

the octavia and caddy use the same stub axle, just the back plate, drum and hub differ (octavia uses mk4 hub, caddy is specific)

dodgy likes this.
  8. dodgy

Drum and hub are 4 or 5 stud so explains the difference there, thought it could have been handbrake being something like a single cable that pulls both sides, but then remembered mine had two cables that I used those conversion ends on to convert to calipers.

9. rubjonny

course it is you're right, had it in my head the later caddy were 5x100 so that'll be what the difference is on the hubs and drums. not sure why the back plate differs though guess something caddy specific anyway

dodgy likes this.
  10. boroko

boroko Paid Member Paid Member

I'm sorry for being dense on this, but could someone confirm if 1J0-501-117B is the small shaft spindle. I keep looking at all the part numbers, but I haven't gotten a good picture of which ones are the small and which are the large.
    Thanks

11. dodgy

That's the mk4 golf/ mk2 caddy/inca stub axle so that's the bigger one I believe.

30mm bearing on golf, 28mm on polo looking at sizes.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2022
  12. boroko

OK, that helps. This should be easy, but I don't have access to the parts or models to check, and ordering them out of the UK or Latvia, so it's a "buy and learn" situation. I'll keep banging my head against the wall until I find a door.

13. dodgy

Use something like 7zap, or nemigma (???) To get the etka drawings and codes on line, very handy to track down part numbers from other cars

14. boroko

I can get to ETKA, the issue is knowing which ones are which. I'll work on it some more.

15. boroko

I think one of the things that throws me is that I 'm not familiar with Polo here in the states. From what I can tell, I'm looking for 1999-2001 and the 28mm stubs might be 6N0-501-117 and 118. Anyone confirm that?

16. dodgy

Looks right.
    Screenshot_20220120-083927_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220120-083919_Chrome.jpg

Did you have seat ibiza in states?
    The 6k2 uses same rear stub on certain models.

Do you have the polo 9n/3, skoda fabia or the seat ibiza over there? Could use them and a plate to mount calipers, 6n2 disc stubs are quite pricey, even second hand here, unless get lucky at breakers.

Something I've considered but not looked at really is the Audi A1, sort of polo based but as said not investigate.

17. boroko

Thanks Dodgy, that helps a bunch.
    We do not have Polo, Skoda, or Seat here. While referring to a 6n/n2 or 9n is common to you guys, it's foreign here. Trying to figure out a year/model that correlates was throwing me.

18. dodgy

9n is the polo from 2002 (approx) to 2009, a 9n3 is the facelift from 2005, they are similar underpinning on the skoda fabia, seat ibiza, audi a2, and the later versions and Audi a1 share a lot of parts too.
    The 9n3 is like a mini mk5 golf in looks.

6n and its facelift 6n2 is more mk3 golf like and was the 1990s version. there are also saloon and estate (wagon) version of both vw and seat which are ibiza based but utilise more mk3 golf chassis wise.
    The ibiza is a hybrid really, mk3 golf front subframe etc but mk2 golf wishbones so narrow track, but rear end is polo 6n style. Then there are the ibiza based vans, seat inca and vw mk2 caddy, they have a beam rear axle like a mk1 caddy pick up, and it's those vans that have 4 stud rear hubs that fit mk4 stub axle!
    Have a look on Wikipedia at the polo, a1, ibiza and Inca.

And I'm really surprised the Audi A1 was not available over there, considering how many mini coopers were about when I was in california a few years ago.

Confusing, I agree, parts bin engineering.

If I've got anything mixed up, my apologies, I've probably missed some bits, or confused the situation.

Remind me @boroko , was it to fit discs, or retain drums?
    Some polo 6n2 diesels also had rear discs same as gti but less rare,

19. boroko

It is to fit disks on a GTI mk3 beam, probably with mk4 aluminum calipers. I rally the car, so I'm looking to toughen up the rear spindles.

20. dodgy

I'll see what I find next week, or you need someone to export them?
    What bits you got already?