Mk4 to ce2 plug and play loom

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by dodgy, Jul 19, 2020.

1. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Got a few bits lying about now, and a mate has asked about a conversion loom for putting a mk4 platform engine into his mk3.
    I have the fusebox plugs, a T14 and the bay to interior plugs from a mk4, clutch and brake ones also.
    Have the amazing guide printed off from doing the loom for 1.8t into the mk2 we have.

So, is it viable to make an adaptation loom that a mk4 loom plugs into, then that into fusebox and few more connections, alternator, live feed etc?
    I realise that certain things wont be fully wired, cruise or air con if not in car originally, the sai etc can be deleted in ecu as does the immobiliser.
    Would make it 'plug and play' very much like the conversions I've seen in America.
    And how long roughly would the loom need to be, approximately a metre or thereabouts? Not got access to his mk3 at present to place and measure.
    Thanks, Dave

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

certainly is, theres an american guy doing this and I've made a couple this way. what you do if approaching it from this angle is pop out the seal plate over the hole where the LHD blower motor sits, and the MK4 plastic loom plate then sits perfectly on top. wiring lengths all fine, ecu sits in the middle same as mk3/4 golf. you just have to fix it down somehow, the mk4 has 2 studs, you could use screws/bolts threaded up from the inside and sealed so they dont leak, or weld/braze some pins on. nothing too challenging.

Then for the t14a run that out to the engine bay thru with whats left of the mk3 engine/lighting loom, and re-purpose the old mk3 grommets to run the mk4 looms out then jobs a goodun. the length of the adaptor loom is pretty short since it only goes from top of the scuttle down to the fusebox, and t14a plug ends up near the mk3 battery you just use the old mk3 loom as a template for that

3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks, Nice one, looks like another trip to get mk3 loom then as I've only got the plugs to fusebox at present from a mk3 with a bit of lead on them.
    Probably only going to be about 50cm loom then, can always coil any extra up.
    Really must go and look at mates mk3 properly, or buy one myself, obviously just to measure stuff on haha.